• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier as an alert dog

Christin1994

Good morning everyone! I know it's been a while since my last post but I hope everyone and their fur children are well. For the last 6 months, I've been suffering from terrible migraines as a result of my hydrocephalus *surprise!!*. I wanted to ask you all an interesting question. Can a cavalier successfully perform the tasks of a service dog (specifically migraine alert). I'm wondering could a cavalier be taught to grab water and medicine along with alerting to migraines, or would I be asking the impossible? Have any of you known of a small dog to do this? Thank you in advance guys!! I appreciate any of the replies.
~Christin

Last edited:
Hi Christin

Don't know much about service dogs, though we certainly use a lot of small dogs for this work in the UK, but having obedience trained a number of Cavaliers I don't see why they shouldn't be able to do what you need. In my experience, they are quick learners and love being trained (I know they have a reputation among non-Cavalier-owners for being stupid, but that's if their owners let them get away with it!). Perhaps keep your meds and a bottle of water in a small bag or box always ready for a dog to pick up and bring to you? So even if the dog can't forewarn you of a migraine coming, if you just manage the word 'box' when it hits he would be able to bring it to you. Though given a Cavalier's strong scenting abilities (nose to the ground all the time!), I would think they could be trained to alert you to a migraine coming - I just don't know how it's done! We have an organisation in the UK called Medical Detection Dogs; a friend supports it because her Cavalier alerted people when she became unconscious and so saved her life; I expect there is something similar in the US that could advise you about training your Cavalier.

Kate and Ruby

Back