• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Old miserable Charlie

quoman

Hi all, my cavvie Charlie who's now coming up 11 yrs old, has become a terribly grumpy and unhappy dog. he barks like mad to go out for a walk, once out he can't manage more than 50 yrds due to his back legs giving way, he then lies down for the rest of the day unable to hardly walk, his hearing has totally gone now and he growls when stroked. The only thing he wants to do now is sleep and eat and he will beg and hunt for anything, he's even taken to eating the grandkids wax crayons !!. I know its because he's getting old, but I did think that this breed maintained a happy old age ?.
Anyone else have a grumpy old cavvie ?

So sorry he is not doing well. Has Charlie had a thorough exam by a veterinarian? The grumpiness might be a sign of a health problem.

No he really is just very very miserable, if you let him have a treat he runs around like an excited puppy, the second the treat has been eaten he lies down miserable again, he wanders around the garden hunting for anything to eat, even waiting for the birds to drop some bread, strange how they are such a happy breed when younger

That is so sad. I do think many people here have had happy doggies even in old age. Mine is only 6 so I can't say. She is very happy. I would be heartbroken to see her unhappy. I do agree you should talk to the Dr.

Please, talk to your vet. Charlie may have the beginnings of dementia - he forgets that he has had a meal and thinks that he needs to find food. The problem with his back legs could be degenerative myelopathy (my Cavalier had it). Deafness is very isolating, and they need extra physical contact to make up for not hearing you talking to them. But growling when touched is probably a sign of pain. Because Cavaliers are usually such a happy breed, turning grumpy is almost always an indication that something is physically or mentally wrong. If there is pain, your vet can probably relieve it; dementia can be managed; deafness needs understanding and extra touching; if the hind leg weakness isn't degenerative myelopathy (which a neurologist could tell you), it may be a spinal problem (which could cause the growling when touched) requiring an x-ray to diagnose. So please - don't just say you have a grumpy dog, find out why he's grumpy! Some of it may be due to ageing, but some may be physical symptoms that can be relieved.

If Charlie can't walk very far but would enjoy going out and about more, I can lend you a buggy (I live in Coventry), which was absolutely brilliant with my old dog and his younger friend in heart failure. Or if you'd like to meet up to talk, message me and I'll give you my phone number. If you live in the West Midlands, we have a first-class referral veterinary hospital in The Willows in Solihull - your vet might refer Charlie for a full health check there.

Love from Kate and Ruby the noisy rescue!

Sorry, I've only just seen your post about Charlie.

I agree with everything that Kate has said, especially about getting a full health check at The Willows in Solihull. I doubt my Holly would be such a hard working and happy 9 year old Cavalier without the expert treatment and advice we received there.

Do let us know how you get on trying to sort out Charlie's grumpiness please.

So sorry you are going through this but I agree with Kate also.
It sounds very like my Pippin who started to act the same a few years ago. A visit with the vet confirmed spinal spondylosis and early dementia.
With love and care from us and careful monitoring from our vet and the right medication he lived another few years and became happier again, though did sleep a lot too.

I would say my Pippin was sad rather than grumpy but he had his moments, demanding food!
Remember 11 is old for a Cavalier, imagine a man in his 70's with dementia and arthritis.

I know it can be hard to manage but it can be done.
Pop to the vet and have a chat and get Charlie a check up.
Wishing you all the best, please let us know how you get on x

Hi Pup

Can you give us an update on Charlie, please? How is he doing?

All the best

Kate and Ruby

Hi Pup

Can you give us an update on Charlie, please? How is he doing?

All the best

Kate and Ruby

Hi all, belated happy new year, no change in Charlie, not sure about the dementia theory, he really is an old grumpy dog (pretty much like some humans of similar age !!), an example being, I feed and exercise him, my wife gives him his treats, he takes ages to eat the food he always has, yet runs around like an excited puppy when our left overs are offered to him, grumbles about being let into the garden to do his business (to the point of growling) yet flys all around the house when shown his lead for a walk. I really think he has just become very bad tempered in his old age. We will persevere but he's best just left on his own being miserable !!!

Hi all, belated happy new year, no change in Charlie, not sure about the dementia theory, he really is an old grumpy dog (pretty much like some humans of similar age !!), an example being, I feed and exercise him, my wife gives him his treats, he takes ages to eat the food he always has, yet runs around like an excited puppy when our left overs are offered to him, grumbles about being let into the garden to do his business (to the point of growling) yet flys all around the house when shown his lead for a walk. I really think he has just become very bad tempered in his old age. We will persevere but he's best just left on his own being miserable !!!

I really would think a chat with the vet would be a good idea. Dementia can come and go in the beginning as with humans.
You could get the help Charlie needs. We owe it to our dogs to do what is best for them.
I can see how it looks to you but no harm in a check up :)

Even bad-tempered old humans usually have a reason for it! Is his own food biscuits and your leftovers softer? Have you had his teeth checked recently? Are his anal glands all right, or is it painful to do his business in the garden because they are infected (very common in Cavaliers)? Enjoying walks is normal Cavalier behaviour - even when they are ill or in pain, walks enable dogs to switch off from what troubles them, so enjoying walks doesn't mean that they can't also have an underlying physical problem. Being grumpy is very untypical of even the oldest Cavaliers and almost always does mean pain somewhere. It may only be a bit of arthritis that gives Charlie a twinge when he has to get up to go out in the garden, or a bad tooth that would be helped by having different food (one of mine stopped eating and just needed a smaller size biscuit because his teeth were bad) - something quite simple that a visit to the vet will be able to help, rather than just dismiss Charlie as a miserable old git! :)

Kate and Ruby (who can be growly - but then she is a rescue with syringomyelia, so I reckon she's got reason to be!)

Even bad-tempered old humans usually have a reason for it! Is his own food biscuits and your leftovers softer? Have you had his teeth checked recently? Are his anal glands all right, or is it painful to do his business in the garden because they are infected (very common in Cavaliers)? Enjoying walks is normal Cavalier behaviour - even when they are ill or in pain, walks enable dogs to switch off from what troubles them, so enjoying walks doesn't mean that they can't also have an underlying physical problem. Being grumpy is very untypical of even the oldest Cavaliers and almost always does mean pain somewhere. It may only be a bit of arthritis that gives Charlie a twinge when he has to get up to go out in the garden, or a bad tooth that would be helped by having different food (one of mine stopped eating and just needed a smaller size biscuit because his teeth were bad) - something quite simple that a visit to the vet will be able to help, rather than just dismiss Charlie as a miserable old git! :)

Kate and Ruby (who can be growly - but then she is a rescue with syringomyelia, so I reckon she's got reason to be!)

Hi just noticed your post. we water down his food as we know his teeth are not well, its almost like soup, his glands are fine as he is always rubbing his backside on the patio slabs (which they do apparently to keep them in check), yes his bones are a bit creaky and it takes him a while to get going, except when shown his lead then he is like a your whippet, so methinks a bit of selective arthritis, he's not daft, he flys around the house like a demented puppy when the grandkids arrive, in the knowledge that food will be dropped on the floor, once they're gone he slumps down again

Back