• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Miserable old Charlie update

quoman

Hi all, no change in Charlies grumpy old man personality, what is new is that he no longer goes to the toilet outside, but does it overnight indoors. We let him out all the time, but now he just stands in the garden looking, he does this for about 15 minutes and then walks back into the house, been going on for about a month now, unfortunately this is now becoming an unpleasant experience for everyone. His feeds are 0830 mornings and 1600 afternoons. Going to try and move his afternoon feed to 1500 and see if we have any change.
Anyone else have experience of this. ?

Our Sophie is ten 1/2 years old and I fear some age-related cognitive disorder is setting in with her. This might be Charlie's problem, too. Our Sophie has become unreliable with her house-training, lately.

Just this morning, she stood up on her dog bed, fluffed it up like she does to lay down again, but instead peed a very large puddle on it. That has always meant UTI, so she is going in tomorrow for a sterile sample. However, she has had some nighttime incontinence problems for over 18 months, with some pretty bad accidents at night lately. She wears a washable doggie diaper and sleeps in her crate at night. That way the floors are not damaged, and we know in the morning if there was an accident. She hasn't had an accident in months and is on medication for all this. I will be talking with the vet about senility if her urine sample is clear. It's so difficult when they get old.

This doesn't give you answers, but just to let you know that you are not alone.

Our Sophie is ten 1/2 years old and I fear some age-related cognitive disorder is setting in with her. This might be Charlie's problem, too. Our Sophie has become unreliable with her house-training, lately.

Just this morning, she stood up on her dog bed, fluffed it up like she does to lay down again, but instead peed a very large puddle on it. That has always meant UTI, so she is going in tomorrow for a sterile sample. However, she has had some nighttime incontinence problems for over 18 months, with some pretty bad accidents at night lately. She wears a washable doggie diaper and sleeps in her crate at night. That way the floors are not damaged, and we know in the morning if there was an accident. She hasn't had an accident in months and is on medication for all this. I will be talking with the vet about senility if her urine sample is clear. It's so difficult when they get old.

This doesn't give you answers, but just to let you know that you are not alone.

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes I knew things would start getting difficult as he got older, he will be 13 next February and slowly everything is going, his hearing has gone, eyesight almost gone, hind legs collapse if walking more than a few steps and now this.

Taking Charlie to the vets this morning, he just stares into space at the moment and has stopped eating as normal, this morning not only the area around it but also his bedding was full of poop, somethings not right

My thoughts are not what you want to hear, but, this might be the time to ponder end of life decisions for your dear Charlie. (please don't shoot the messenger)
Looks like his dementia has progressed even more and his quality of life, well, only you can make that dreaded decision. Sometimes it is the most loving thing we can do for our pets. It is the worst time in owning a pet because they are members of our family and we love them. I've been there, suffered and grieved that, and do not look forward to the decision in the future with our Sophie.

Quick update, after his visit to the vet, he was given antibiotics and a probiotic, vet did an internal found no abnormalities apart from swollen anal gland (which she popped). He seems to have perked up a bit and stopped the indoor pooping (for now !!). Vet just said, he's an old dog getting older, he'll be 13 next Feb, anyone else have cavvies that old ?

Hi, medication appeared to work but within 2 days back to how he was, really confused as to his change in toilet habit, he goes into the garden during the day and attempts to do his business but nothing happens, however, when we get up in the morning there it all is in the kitchen !!!. he also growls in a very bad tempered way at the slighest thought of having to move yet still jumps up at the sight of his lead for a walk, however does not venture any further than about 20 yards and just stands there staring !!, vet has put it down to old age and informed us that this will possibly be the norm now.

Back