If you like or own cavaliers, or just want to learn more about them, and are a per owner, you are very welcome to Cavalier Talk. Please note there are two limitations on board membership: this is a pet owner board and not intended for breeders (there are breeder-focused forums out there) and I also will not allow pet owners to discuss breeding their own cavaliers *at all*. Reasons for this are noted elsewhere in more detail.
The Cavalier Talk board was set up in March 2005, and is run by me -- Karlin Lillington -- a (multiple) cavalier owner. An ex-pat Canadian-American based in Dublin, Ireland, I used to run Irish Cavalier Rescue, www.ckcsrescue.com, and also have the CKCS Syringomyelia Infosite, www.smcavalier.com. By profession, I am a journalist and broadcaster, specialising in technology and science. I run the board with the help of my hand-picked moderator team .
This board is your community. You can post a little or a lot, or not at all, whatever pleases you. You cannot post however unless you register, and by registering, you acknowledge that 1) you are not a breeder and accept that 2) the final determination of appropriateness of either board behaviour or a given post is up to Admin (meaning me) and/or moderators. Copyright for individual posts does belong to the author of the post so if you (whether a member of the board or not) wish to crosspost or forward, please follow generally accepted netiquette and ask the poster's permission.
NB: Please do not use multiples of the letter x in front of or behind your username. ISPs and spam software will immediately pick that up as a potential pornography site and filter/block mails so you never get them, or bounce any notification emails sent by the board, back to me. I will automatically delete multiple X's from usernames. The board automatically rejects on registration, usernames that begin with numbers or characters other than letters as well.
You can set your account to hide your email from public viewing but you need a working email address in order to register.
1) The board has an open atmosphere and most topics are considered acceptable, as are disagreements between members and debates. Everyone -- including Admin and moderators -- is entitled to his/her own opinion -- within some constraints.
2) While a large degree of latitude is allowed for personal styles of expression, personal attacks, namecalling, and disparagement directed at other board members -- singly or collectively -- is not acceptable. This includes sending offensive PMs to board members, or email through the board that I consider to be offensive or overly distressing to the recipient.
3) Spamming (junk advertising) is not allowed -- either through posts or through PMs. I have very tight controls on the board that make it difficult for spammers to register in the first place, but please notify me or a moderator immediately if you are spammed or see spam messages.
4) No critical discussions of individual breeders please. It is also not acceptable to name individuals or kennels that you believe may be operating puppy mills/puppy farms or backyard breeders, as loathsome as such people may be. This is not because I believe such topics should be censored, but because the legal climate in which boards operate remains murky, and libel and defamation law varies hugely between jurisdictions (meaning between nations and even US states). I am not giving such bottom feeders the chance to close down a board or go after the board community. You are welcome to take such discussions off the board. General discussions about what makes breeders good and bad, puppy mills/farms, and regulation or the lack of it is fine.
5) Because placing pictures in signatures tends to split boards between those who hate 'em and those who love 'em, I have this compromise in place: no images in sigs (they are blocked and won't show up), but avatars are enabled (see your profile). We also have several galleries for pictures so you can post lots and lots of pictures. And you have a personal Member Page where you can add photos of your dogs, yourself, or anything you'd like, create a blog about your dog, and otherwise develop your own personal space.
6) I don't allow puppies or dogs to be offered for sale on this site. I don't allow litters to be advertised here or discussions on breeding advice or how to breed or plans to breed as this isn't a breeding discussion site and there are other places (basically, a responsible mentor, or other responsible breeders) to ask and receive such information. If you need to get basic information on breeding from a discussion board, you shouldn't be breeding, at least not yet. For more information on this posting restriction and reasons for it, see: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=17561.
I do currently limit the number of breeder members, as this is a pet-owner focused board. However, information regarding rescue dogs and anything breed rescue related is welcomed, and can by emailed or PMd to me by any breed club rescue member and I will post it.
Enjoy yourselves -- I've rarely ever had to ask anyone to restrain themselves or go away on other boards that I moderate, and haven't had to do so with any frequency here, either.