Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CGC certification

Post Thanks / Like

Default CGC certification

Cricket started her first CGC course last night. There are four sessions with the last one being the test.

Has anyone else done this?
    Mary Pat
    A wagging tail erases stress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is that Canine Good Citizen?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes
    Mary Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Default CGC

Candle and I went through it. The test was pretty laid back. As long as you have a good sit, down, stay, come and "meet and greet" you'll do fine. And remember..there are only a few more test to get your Therapy Dog Certification!!
    Mom to Candle and Ally

MaggieM Guest

Ooo how'd she do in her first class? I've been thinking about that for Isabelle... she just needs a bit more practice heeling.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you need to have the CGC to get Therapy dog certification?

MaggieM Guest

I think the answer is commonly yes. Most places, at least in Ohio require TDI licensing... which requires CGC certification.

Post Thanks / Like

Cricket did pretty well. We practised the first four tests, owner being greeted by a stranger, stranger petting the dog, stranger brushing, checking paws and ears and walking on a loose lead. One through three were pass, walking the instructor felt I corrected her too much. But it is Cricket's normal way of walking with me. She doesn't pull, I can control her with one finger on the lead. Now there was a small terrier in the class that arrived dragging the owner by the lead barking it's head off at anything in it's way. When he went on the walk test he was told heel and stayed right by the owners knee with attention on the owner the full time.

I could write a book about the dogs in the class. They are mostly huge! and range from no obedience to oh my god - Cricket look at that!
    Mary Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad it went well with Cricket. Sounds like a fairly similar format to teh Kennel Club Good Citizen tests in the UK. I think it's a brilliant idea to do these courses.

Rupert passed both the Bronze and Silver tests, after he went completely deaf, so we were using hand signals.

At the Bronze test, there was a Doberman who had been coming to classes for some time. He had had a bad aggression problem with other dogs - after being attacked as a pup - and his owner worked so hard with him. He was doing really well, but the owner was reluctant to let him off lead during the test, as he was worried about calling him away from other dogs. He did let him off - with plenty of trainers around just in case! - the Dobe. walked up to another dog, and went down into a playbow!!! We were all close to tears, it was such a transformation He passed too!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org