• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CGC certification

MPB

Cricket started her first CGC course last night. There are four sessions with the last one being the test.

Has anyone else done this?

CGC

Candle and I went through it. The test was pretty laid back. As long as you have a good sit, down, stay, come and "meet and greet" you'll do fine. And remember..there are only a few more test to get your Therapy Dog Certification!!

Ooo how'd she do in her first class? I've been thinking about that for Isabelle... she just needs a bit more practice heeling.

I think the answer is commonly yes. Most places, at least in Ohio require TDI licensing... which requires CGC certification.

Cricket did pretty well. We practised the first four tests, owner being greeted by a stranger, stranger petting the dog, stranger brushing, checking paws and ears and walking on a loose lead. One through three were pass, walking the instructor felt I corrected her too much. But it is Cricket's normal way of walking with me. She doesn't pull, I can control her with one finger on the lead. Now there was a small terrier in the class that arrived dragging the owner by the lead barking it's head off at anything in it's way. When he went on the walk test he was told heel and stayed right by the owners knee with attention on the owner the full time.

I could write a book about the dogs in the class. They are mostly huge! and range from no obedience to oh my god - Cricket look at that!

Glad it went well with Cricket. Sounds like a fairly similar format to teh Kennel Club Good Citizen tests in the UK. I think it's a brilliant idea to do these courses.

Rupert passed both the Bronze and Silver tests, after he went completely deaf, so we were using hand signals. :)

At the Bronze test, there was a Doberman who had been coming to classes for some time. He had had a bad aggression problem with other dogs - after being attacked as a pup - and his owner worked so hard with him. He was doing really well, but the owner was reluctant to let him off lead during the test, as he was worried about calling him away from other dogs. He did let him off - with plenty of trainers around just in case! - the Dobe. walked up to another dog, and went down into a playbow!!! We were all close to tears, it was such a transformation :D He passed too!

Cricket is back in the CGC class - we opted out of the last one because the test was when I went to the Atlanta CKCSC show.

I think she'll do well except for one thing. One of the tests is to have the dog surounded by two types of distractions. One the instructor has chosen is having someone pushing a patient in a wheelchair around the dog. No problem with that. but at the same time he throws a metal dish against the concrete wall of the training room.

I made the big mistake during the first session I was in, not to notice that Cricket was stressing after this was repeated over and over as we were waiting our turn. When it came her turn she was ready to bolt for the door and that would mean failure.

When I purposely drop a pain on the floor at home or when I'm over at my Mother's it doesn't bother her. She looks, but isn't bothered by it.

Tonight during class, I took her out to the hallway as they were practising this. She could still hear it and was OK with the first clang - and I kept trying to treat her per the instructors recommendation but after the second time she only wanted to hide behind my legs.

Any other thoughts how I can get her over this?

Back