• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Holistic Vets

Do you use a Holistic of "regular" vet?

• Total voters
I currently use a regular vet but am considering switching to a holistic vet that is located one town away from me. I like my current vet and his office is just around the corner but I often worry about side effects of conventional treatments on a breed so prone to MVD and other problems.

That's just why we recently switched (among other problems with my old vet). I like that my new holistic vet recommends raw feeding (not the one he recommends though!) and always has alternative suggestions.... even to things my old vet told me for years. It's especially nice now that Izzy has been diagnosed with MV and TV murmurs but is not yet on medication, that he can recommend the supplements to give to her.

I just made a post under Diet in the supplement discussion about holistic vets. I'm shown as Guest though because I hadn't logged in.

I will never leave my regular vet -- loved her for 16 yrs and she does special things for me including letting me go into surgery with her. Not to mention the fact that she gives me reduced charges - no office visits, etc. And she is open to anything that I want to do and pretty much lets me call the shots (control freak that I am) BUT I have set a consult with Susan Wynn, nationally recognized holistic vet who specializes in diet, herbs, supplements, accupuncture. I'll be sure to report on that after it happens.

Interesting discussion; I was just talking to another cavalier owner around the corner last noight and she mentioned she was taking Rusty to a new holistic vet. I have a friend who swears be hers; she has a very old golden lab she got from rescue at around 12 or 13 and she's lived three years now under his care which is pretty good! :lol:

One of the main syringomyelia neurosurgeons, Dr Harrington in Washington State, highly recommends acupuncture for SM dogs having pain. He believes it really helps them. I have heard good things about him. I'd never have considered acupuncture but now I think I would.

We've already talked to our new vet about acupuncture... he has his license and he's very impressed with the results. He wants me to bring Izzy in for it to help the flow of the heart (there was a chinese technical term for it... but I don't remember :oops: ). Once we get Nikko calmed more too, he wants to try it on him to see if that will help as well. But at $40 a session, it won't be something we do often. I wonder though if that includes the vet going over the dog.... might be worthwhile then as its just a few dolalrs more than an appointment.

I wish that we had access to an holistic vet! There are only two homoeopathic vets in the whole of Scotland, one about 1 1/2 hours away who sadly is on long term sick leave, the other too far away to travel to.

I do try to treat the dogs holistically as much as possible, I'm very keen on homoeopathy and have a very good and knowledgeable supplier - I have been very impressed with the results.

Maggie, sorry to hear about Izzy's heart problems. Do you use Vit E? Peaches has a low grade murmur, she is on natural source VIt E 200 iu daily. I have also been recommended to try Co Q10, but understand that this is only effective for heart muscle, so maybe something to try in later stages of MVD - the advised dose was about 30mg per day. Also Taurine 500mg {twice weekly}- this is an antioxidant.

Peaches wears a magnotherapy collar too - magnotherapy has been proven to increase blood circulation.

I would recommend acupuncture - I have it myself on a regular basis for pain relief. Sometimes the needles hurt when they go in, but it goes off very quickly, and the results are worth it!

As Karlin said, some of the Syringo.-affected dogs are now receiving acupuncture, it will be very interesting to hear how they progress.

Back