Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peaches' patella surgery...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Peaches' patella surgery...

Further to Cathy's photos of Shelby - thanks for posting those - I thought I'd tell you about Peaches' imminent surgery:

Peaches is the Tricolour in the avatar picture - she is 6 1/2, and is on her third home - although I know her original breeder and know much of her background.

We discovered last year that Peaches has luxating patellas {both sides} and hip dysplasia. We were concerned that she may need surgery, but have been managing her with complementary medicine. Over the last couple of months, she hasn't seemed as comfortable - not wanting to run, jump etc. {Peaches does not have any clinical signs of Syringomyelia, and we do not suspect this at all}

Last week we went down to the vet at Inverness - 1 1/2 hours drive - as our local vet does not do this type of surgery. {They deal with mainly farm animals and some pets, but not many Cavaliers or toy breeds!}

We suspected that she would need the surgery, but were disappointed to have it confirmed.

The first surgery will be on the right knee - that leg is slightly shorter than the other one where she is holding it awkwardly, which is also affecting her back and hips. Probably she will need surgery on the other knee too - once the first one settles.

The vet is talking about both deepening the groove for the patella to ride in, and transplanting the tibial crest and pinning it into position {so that the ligament would be in the correct place}.

If Peaches does have both procedures, she will have to stay in for most of the week - mainly as we are so far away, the vet wants to make sure the pins settle ok. We have booked her in for 21st March, she will have x-rays and then will go on to surgery.

It is a fantastic practice - we really liked the receptionist and the vet. They are very understanding about the distance we are travelling - normally you would go back for x-rays, and then again for surgery.

Peaches will need to be cage rested for about 8 weeks following surgery - poor little soul.

Please think of Peaches on the 21st and afterwards, and of Rupert, as he will miss his companion. Thank you.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki - Shelby especially sends loving puppy kisses to Peaches. She says to tell her that everything will be okay.

It makes such a difference to have someone doing the surgery that you trust so much. That's how I've felt with both of Shelby's knee surgeries and Jake's cancer surgery. We absolutely love our surgeon. Such a wonderful caring and up to date doctor. We'll continue to use our regular vet for run of the mill stuff but if we ever (knock on wood) have a serious problem we are back out to the surgeon.

Good luck and we'll definitely keep her in our thoughts.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Nikki- Just read your post about peaches. You must be really worried at the moment. It sounds like she will be well looked after having her op next week, and I'm sure she will be spoilt rotten with love and attention when you bring her home.

Good luck for the 21st.

Thinking of you.
    Julie M

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just to let you all know that Peaches came through her op ok!!! She is awake and the vets are pleased with her. I will find out exactly what they have done tomorrow, and hopefully Peaches will come home by Thursday.

Thank you all for the good wishes, thoughts and prayers
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful!!!! Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I hope she's feeling better soon!!!

Rory sends lots of puppy kisses!

-rory's moom

Post Thanks / Like

Great news Nicki. Excellent. I'm sure she'll be fine. Keep us posted.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great news -- she must have been in early today? You'll have to post a picture so we can compare the patella casts! It makes such a difference when you have such a supportive vet practice that will try to work around comnplications like travel distances etc.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful news Nicki, those positive thoughts and prayers do work, I can testify to that with my Ellie bless her. So pleased to hear she is awake and fine and no doubt will be missing you and your hubby and Rupert too.

You must be so exhausted with all the worry, try and chill out with a nice bath with lavender and camomile. Looking forward to hearing that Princess Peaches will be home safe and sound with you all tomorrow! icon_thumbsup
    Anita, Gemma & Milly& Kizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Niki....I am very glad that all is well with your baby....Chloe and Katie sends puppy kisses....and puppy prayers !

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki- glad to hear the op is over for peaches.

Keep us updated please with her progress.
    Julie M

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.