• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Peaches' patella surgery...

Oh poor Peaches...gentle hugs and positive thoughts coming your way for a speedy recovery.

Thanks everyone. Peaches is brighter today, much more interested in food too :D not that she lost her appetite at all icon_banana

She sends you all love and kisses, and is very pleased to be home.

She flatly refused to sleep in the crate, so we've resorted to converting our bed into a giant cage, by putting puppy panels all around it 8) The things we do for these doglets :D

Nicki said:
She flatly refused to sleep in the crate, so we've resorted to converting our bed into a giant cage, by putting puppy panels all around it 8) The things we do for these doglets :D

But I doubt that anyone would argue with you that they are worth it!! :) When my friend's cairn terrier had patella surgery she slept with him on the couch for I don't know how many nights!!

:lol: :lol: This is Peaches' way of making sure you appreciate all SHE has gone through!!!

That's great news that Princess Peaches is on the mend.

With everthing she has just been through I'm sure she is loving every moment of you giving into her every whim. You just enjoy it girl after all you are a princess! :D

Yesterday we went to the vets for Peaches' one month post-op check...the vet was VERY pleased with her progress icon_banana

She has been trying to run and jump. so we knew she was feeling better, but it was wonderful to have it confirmed!!

Peaches was very good when the vet manipulated her leg - he was surprised at the range of movement, and she didn't even wince! He also walked her outside, and was very pleased. Peaches has some muscle wasting on that leg, which will recover as she uses it more, she is swaying a bit as she walks, but is using the leg well.

The great news is that she can walk further now, she's allowed out in garden on her own, but is to avoid anthing that may cause her to twist, such as ball games etc.

We are so pleased, we have one much happier little dog :D

Thank you for all the good wishes and positive thoughts, together with the homoeopathic remedies {she has also been on two to help knit the bone together, which have really worked!} and Reiki, this has given Peaches a brilliant recovery, much quicker than we anticipated.

We are going back again in September, and may make a decision then about her left leg - which is also affected.

Peaches sends you all love and kisses.

The only bad news is that her heart murmur is getting worse - she was diagnosed with a grade 2 in December 2003, it then went down to a 1, but is "worse than a 2 now" :( The vet said not to be too concerned about the grade, it's more relevant to watch out for clinical symptoms - such a s coughing, reluctance to exercise etc.

He does however expect that between the ages of 8 and 10, Peaches will start to show clinical signs, and will need to go onto medication {based on his experience of MVD}. Fortunatley the medication available is very good, and she could still have many years of quality life.

Thank you again for all your suppport - especially Cathy - it would have been much harder going through this experience without you all.

Nicki - All in all, great news. The heart thing is bothersome but doesn't sound dire. Do be careful with her being loose. That was something my vet warned about was twisting the knee. No wild running for another month, okay?!

It's such a wonderful day when they get full freedom. Shelby acted like she had never been contained in the first place. Everything fell right back into place.

Shelby also had some muscle loss after the first surgery and unfortunately after the 2nd surgery it was even worse. But now!! Right back to whee she should be. That was the reason we opted for water therapy.

Great news!!

Cathy

Thanks Cathy - it's great that Shelby is doing so well now, really encouraging.

I've told Peaches "no wild parties" icon_banana icon_yikes and no pretending she's a greyhound!!! :D

Actually she's being pretty good, in between times she goes into the cage on the floor quite happily - which is better, 'cos if she's out she tries to jump up on the furniture. :shock:

We're keeping an eye on her in the garden, if she's overdoing it then I will put her back on the lead.

I wish we had a hydrotherapy pool near us - I think there's only one in Scotland icon_yikes

That's the disadvantage of living here, you don't get many "unusual" facilities :( When I win on the Premium Bonds, I will pay to have one built... icon_whistling

It's still a bit cold at the moment for swimming in the sea - and a bit dogdy for such a little dog. I did suggest putting her in the bath, but the vet didn't think it would help really :oops:

Edited to say: this is the Canine Hydrotherapy Association poolfinder for the UK

http://www.k9hydrotherapy.co.uk/poolfinder.html

We used the water therapy as a last resort. Because she did so poorly the first time through I was desperate enough to try anything! If she has the 2nd knee done we won't do water therapy unless absolutely necessary (it's very expensive to pay for this on top of the surgery!)

I'm pleased to hear Peaches has made a good recovery from her knee surgery. I'm sure she must still have to take it easy for a while but has all those lovely long walks to look forward to soon. :D :D

Back