• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do your Cavs enjoy being groomed?

Julie

I have only got to show Chloe her grooming brush and she is ready to jump up on the table for me to brush her.
She loves every minute of being pampered but the only part of her that she hates me brushing is her tail. This is a shame as I think a well brushed wagging tail looks handsome.

How do yours like being groomed and how often do you do it?

Thanks.

We have grooming day every Sunday. Izzy LOVES to be brushed... she'll sit there for hours. She too hates her tail being brushed because last summer she had a HUUUUUUGE tail knot and it finally had to be cut out... but it really hurt her while we tried to work it out. Now she won't let you touch her tail. Nikko loves to be brushed too... even with the wire slicker we have to use for his double coat. He on the other hand likes his tail brushed because he struts around holding it high and fluffy. But he's not a cav and you asked about cavs.... The other two don't have enough hair yet to make a difference, but they too get brushed every Sunday. They are so far okay with everythng, but Bailey doesn't like the miny slicker on his ears yet.

I brush both dogs pretty much every other day. They love it! I tell them "let's get brushed" and Jake flops down on his side ready while Shelby lays there watching and waiting for her turn. Jake does not like having his tail brushed whereas Shelby doesn't seem to mind. Shelby's ears can be a real mess. The hair behind her ears is so fine she gets some really bad mats back there but she is so good about laying there while I work them out. Jake is sensitive, if I pull he eyeballs me with this look that says "hey, watch there, what was that for?"

Chloe & Bonnie love to be groomed...I think they think were going somewhere after I groom them because we often have gone visiting prior to me grooming them...For the tail I use a soft brush (no wire) and I hold her tail to the ground and fan it out with the brush....they love to get their teeth brushed too...Now I am starting to get Katie uses to it.... she does loves to get a bath.....

Which brings me to another story ....Cavaliers are brilliant ....I have a winter lined jogging suit...The kind that has a warm lining and the outside is nylon like material....When I walk in it it makes a swoosing noise :eek:
I have used this outfit to take walks to "oakridge prairie" a park where once I am on the hiking trail I take them off lead.. they just LOVE it...well when I put this outfit on ....Chloe goes bannanas icon_banana and starts barking and jumping...I couldn't figure out why... until I realized it was the OUTFIT....she thougth I was going to take her for a walk...now I can only wear if we really are... or else I feel bad for her ! :shock:
I thought that was really smart for her to assocciate that outfit with a walk so quickley...

Grooming

Both of my girls are not thrilled with the bath but they are so good they just stand and tolerate it. They are ok with brushing and as the others stated, do not like me brushing their tails. One funny thing is Candle loves the hair dryer. When I get it out she comes running and sits so nicely waiting for me to use it on her. Ally use to be afraid of it until she saw how excited Candle was when I got it out..now she loves it too :)

Re: Grooming

Jackie said:
One funny thing is Candle loves the hair dryer. When I get it out she comes running and sits so nicely waiting for me to use it on her. Ally use to be afraid of it until she saw how excited Candle was when I got it out..now she loves it too :)

Isabelle is funny. Almost every morning she sits below me as I dry my hari (I do the upside down head method) she loves when the warm air blows on her... then and only then. If I try to dry them after a bath she has a fit. It also makes her look goofy.. so maybe she knows the difference? :p

I have a funny story about clothing triggers too. I hardly ever wear tennis shoes. If I put them on ALL the dogs know something good is going to happen. I wear them for agility classes and walks and that's about it.

Cathy T said:
Shelby will actually fall asleep while I'm blow drying her!!

Chloe hates the hair dryer. What Chloe likes after her bath is being wrapped up in a huge bath sheet that has been on the heated towel rail. She will stay all snuggled up in your arms and fall asleep. She does shiver easy when she is wet so then I settle her down on her doggie hot water bottle. Usually within the hour she if dry and fluffy and smelling good. icon_thumbsup

Audrey tolerates grooming! She often bites at the brush. Absolutely hates the blow dryer! She particularly dislikes it when I brush her ears and backside. She makes a funny annoyed, whimpering, growley sound! She likes the treats that come when it is over, of course!

I only use a soft brush on Paris as she doesn't have enough hair for the slicker yet. You can tell she doesn't LIKE it, but she knows she has to be good. She knows when she is good she gets a treat and extra "love". The same goes for the bath, she looks SO pathetic, I'll have to take a picture sometime. She gives me a look that clearly says "Mom, I DO NOT like this, what did I do that made me deserve this?" (even after SHE was the one that rolled in a mud puddle) But oddly she doesn't mind the hair dryer, when I'm drying her she sits on the floor and I don't have to hold her, she just sits and lets me dry her.

Kali

Back