• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Head strong girl

Dee

Audrey seems to be at a particularly challenging stage. icon_devil She is almost 11 months old. Lately, she has been very bossy, barking for food, to play, go outside (not to potty-just for fun), etc. I ignore her or make her request properly (sit down and stay). She also chewing at our rugs again which she had stopped doing. I know that she is vying for attention. It is a very busy time for both me and my husband at work so she is not getting as much time with us. That will get better after April 15 (husband is an accountant). Is this also fairly normal for her age? She has always had a spunky personality but I don't want her bossiness to get out of control. Any suggestions for developing better manners will be appreciated. I am planning to take her to more advanced obedience school this summer. Also once all our snow melts exersizing her will be easier. :p

Sounds like you are doing the right things. What other way does she have to tell you she wants to go outside though?

A lot of trainers will tell you to literally turn your back on the dog when they are barking at you. As soon as they stop turn give them a command (sit..) and then praise.

All dogs go through periods in their life where they test... my 2 1/2 year old still does it some times.

icon_nwunsure That's a hard one.
As with kids demanding attention it's best to ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good. Sometimes easier said than done.
If Chloe demands to carry on playing when I want to stop I usually say all gone now and she seems to know that means no more.

Chloe was about 18 months before she was less demanding. It does get easier with time and age. :)

Thanks Maggie! She thinks she is fooling me as far as going out to go potty. I know her timing pretty well and her body language. When she really has to go she stamps her feet. The other day I went out to get something from the car and that gave her the idea that she wanted to go for a ride. She barked at the door which is the same one she goes out to go potty. I took her out just in case and she ran up to the car door and just looked at me barking. She didn't need to go potty so we went back inside. She continued to bark at the door for the next few minutes. I ignored her but it kind of gave me a chuckle! She loves car rides! icon_drivingcar

Too funny. My Sophie (a year last week) really tests us. We have bell trained them to go outside. Sophie likes to be outside and so rings the bell often. Without fail she rings it during dinner... walks out the door then turns back to me like "okay... now what?" She just wants attention... she's not the center of it during dinner :p

Somehow, I'm not sure how it happened, Jake learned that when I say "last time" I'm done throwing the ball or whatever. The people at the park last night got such a kick out of it. I told Jake last time, threw the ball and he just looked at me like "you think I'm gonna go get it knowing you're not going to throw it again?"

Cathy

Doesn't hearing the bell ring make you think you are a servant?

Not that we aren't already with cavaliers... icon_rotfl

Maggie I've got to try turning my back on Jaspar I think. He too is really bossy and will bark away at me when we get to the park, until I start throwing the ball for him to fetch. Lately I am making him sit and be quiet then walk again til we get to wherever he gets the ball (stop and repeat as many times as necessary) but it is really embarrassing to have him bark bark bark in this high-pitched bark that sounds like he's in distress (he is!! He doesn't get to chase the ball yet!! :lol: ).

Oh they are smart little goblins sometimes...

karlin said:
Maggie I've got to try turning my back on Jaspar I think. He too is really bossy and will bark away at me when we get to the park, until I start throwing the ball for him to fetch. Lately I am making him sit and be quiet then walk again til we get to wherever he gets the ball (stop and repeat as many times as necessary) but it is really embarrassing to have him bark bark bark in this high-pitched bark that sounds like he's in distress (he is!! He doesn't get to chase the ball yet!! :lol: ).

Oh they are smart little goblins sometimes...

Izzy does the same thing for the ball, she luckily also knows she has to be quiet eventually or I won't throw it.

Back