• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Walking.

Julie

I was just wondering how long you call a good walk?

I take Chloe on two sometimes three 20 minute walks a day which suits as both. I don't think her little legs would carry on much further as I know she starts to look for a pick up.

Also I find she isn't that keen If I vary where we walk. Which is a shame as we have some beautiful walks where we live along the coast and I get bored doing the same route but when I try somewhere different for a change she can be quite stubborn and refuse to move on.
Do any of you come across this too?

I haven't been able to take Jake and Shelby on the long walks we used to go on but now that Shelby's leg is better we will start working up to them again. They can go about 45 minutes to an hour. It's a leisurely walk and I bring along water. They don't mind a different route but definitely have ideas about which way we should go!

How old is Chloe?

Mine get about 3-4 walks of 10-20 minutes each daily as I don't have a garden (or much of one) and they have to go on a walk to do their business. But they are both well able for 2-4 miles in one long go, once or twice a week, where part of that walk includes 30 minutes or so of vigorous fetch.

Jaspar for some reason dislikes one route I sometimes take for their daily walks -- he always wants to head back home but Leo quite likes that route.

Chloe will be 2 in May.

We have a large garden that she has plenty of excerise and play in so if the weather has been awful and we only manage one walk in a day she is quite happy with that.
Yesterday I took her on the route she isn't that keen on. It's a safe enclosed footpath so I took off her lead to see her response. She did her usual at first and wouldn't move but as I got further and further away and called her she sprinted towards me. With plenty of praise she seemed quite happy after that. :D

Peaches isn't keen on a change of scenery - but Rupert loves to be somewhere new. I guess some of it is down to their personality - he loves people and is very outgoing, Peaches is much more timid.

When they were both healthier{!} we used to do 2 1/2 to 3 miles every day, usually just one walk, as we have a large garden that they have access to all the time. Sometimes hubby would take them for a longer, up to 5 miles walk, which Rupert loved.

Rupert had always been very fit, we built this up slowly.

I think the most important thing is to find an exercise routine which suits your dog - and which keeps them at an healthy weight.

Some Cavaliers I know of do about 10 miles per day, others don't have walks at all and just exercise in the garden - I think that's a shame though, as they miss the stimulation.

Back