• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo's poor eye...

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Had the boys out in the park yesterday afternoon and they were chasing their favourite tennis ball while we walked. Unfortunately Leo ran right in front of the ball as it was coming down and it whacked him in the eye, poor little man. He was not very happy and this morning he was holding his eye slightly shut so took him in to the vet.

Fortunately it is just bruising around the eye and the white of the eye but no damage to the eye itself ( I knew it was hurting him around the eye as he was not happy to have me try to touch anywhere around the eye socket). He got a painkiller injection in his little behind and will get Metacam for the week. Just as I am going away tomorrow for 10 days or so; I feel really bad but am glad I had him checked out by the vet just in case. Such a fluke accident; he wasn;t even chasing the ball, but chasing Jaspar chasing the ball. So he wasn't really watching where it was coming down.

So this isn't really a question, more just a comment. :| Leo's such a brave man, not a peep out of him from the injection and he's always so tolerant even when he is very uncertain of what is going on.

Hmmm...Murphy's law again? Mine tend to get sick on Saturday afternoon once the vet's office is closed for the weekend.

Cathy

Oh Poor Leo, hope he will be more comfortable soon.

These things always happen just as you are about to go away - my two have a history of developing anal gland abscesses just as we are supposed to be taking them on holiday :roll:

You were right to get him checked out just in case, especially if you are going to be away.

Sending positive, healing thoughts for Leo.

Oh poor Leo. A breeder friend of mine always used cold tea bags on the dogs eye when sore, it really seems to help with the swelling and/or bruising.

I think its a Cav thing to get ill or hurt either as your going away or when the vets is closed and a Bank Holiday. Mine always do it :roll:

Hope Leo is better soon, with Metacam he will be back to normal quickly I have used it many times.

Poor Leo! I always wonder how dogs get themselves in to these things... adn why they always do it when the vet is closed :p

Hugs to the little man!

In great form and hoping they might get to go swimming over in the Phoenix Park today! I can't say the word 'swimming' as it starts Jaspar barking... :lol:

More seriously poor Leo did get a bad bruising from being hit by that ball right near his eye, I was lucky it wasn't a fraction of an inch over so it didn't damage the eye. Their eyes are so big.

oh a close shave!! Louie is being much better behaved and he is learning to do things himself too which is great! :lol:

I'm patiently trying to teach him to fetch and he chases the ball, catches it , bites it and then finds something else to do so I have my work cut out for me!! Got any tips?

P.S Sorry for asking so many questions all the time but he's my first dog :)

He's going to be a very spoiled first dog too Evan - of course we never spoil our dogs :lol: icon_whistling

Maxx has got a brown blob on his eye thanks to a cat jumping on his back and clawing his eye. He was totally innocent and had just stepped out of our french windows too icon_yikes He was verrrrrrrrrrrrry lucky not to have lost that eye. He was back and forth to the Vet for months having treatment.

Prior to that he ran into our kitchen door when he was having a mad chase round the house and gave himself a black eye and split open the inside of his eye lid icon_yikes - he's a nightmare!

lol :lol: Louie goes into a running frenzy and just runs anywhere there is space for him!

:lol:

Hi all

Just picked up on the email regarding eyes - weird but same thing happened to Sam some time ago where he ended up getting the tennis ball in the eye - I ended up bringing him to the vet who gave us drops and it all cleared up immediately. In the last week I have noticed that in the morning when we get up his eye has some whitish puss from the corners if you get me - is this common - I usually remove or it or sometimes he does it himself - should I be concerned about it ?

Otherwise he is in terrific form also loves swimming in the sea although that will stop now winter is on the way - he bounced back incredibly atfer being neutered which is terrific ...

Anyhow any feedback on the eyes would be appreciated.

Hope everyone well in CKC land...

Hils & Sam

Some people calll those 'eye boogers'... :shock: :|

That's normal, they seem to get that gunk in the corners overnight; it isn't pus just whatever dishcarge they get that seems to thicken overnight. It varies by dog too -- Jaspar has a lot and I usually clear the stuff from his eyes in the morning or he does it himself first thing; while Leo almost never has anything that needs wiping away. You can use a dampened cotton makeup pad to gently wipe away from the direction of the eye to clear that out. I also use Renu-type contact solution on a pad -- the mutlipurpose contact lens solution that is designed to be OK to go in the eye as well as to soak lenses -- this has a protein dissolver that is supposed to help get rid of the yeast that grows in their eye discharge (the way they get the reddish streaks under their eyes at times, and that has a faint odour as well). You can see the red come off on the pad. You need to be sure it is the multipurpose contect lens solution that is OK in the eyes. I get the store-brand stuff at Boots in Ireland or Target or Wallmart in the US.

That's a really good idea to use that Karlin. I usually buy Optrex eye wash as it's gentle :D and apply that with a cotton wool pad. Saying that, Maxx usually wipes his eyes on my pyjama legs every morning before I get chance to go downstairs to clean them yukkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

It's something worth thinking about but since I have put Maxx onto James Wellbeloved food, meat and veg (& taken him off the readily available foods and dog treats), his eyes are really clean! There must be so much yeast in those dog foods - can't be good for them as it causes tummy upsets etc too.

We all carry yeasts in our bodies anyway (even us human animals) but when they get out of control they can make you quite ill. I'm sure that pink goo and staining is a sign of it being out of control :cry:

Back