• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

looking at houses with cavalier yards/gardens!!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm out in the US looking at some houses and you know what your life priorities are when a key item is whether the garden would be suitable to cavaliers and to cat-proofing so that the moggies would be safe outside. :lol: As a result I always look first at the yard when viewing a house...

Some possibilities. My mother is doing some checking around on one in particular so we are waiting to see if anything comes of it. And yes it will be a car for transporting cavaliers next!! :lol: icon_drivingcar

I know what you mean Karlin. The first thought was and is the dogs...yard, flooring etc. I found one acre nestled between 2 farms so the pups can play to their hearts content in the fence I am hoping to have up before I get there.....dreaming of days ahead and only 18 more to go before I hit the road.

We're trying to see if we can sort out an arrangement on a house that belonged to someone my mother volunteered with, who died several months ago. An old house in Palo Alto. It needs work but would be extraordinary to get, mainly for the location. The heir is interested in doing this (a direct exchange without realtors and hence saving the commission for the heir) but the executor has to be spoken to. A very long shot I think but it has become slightly less of a long shot in the past 4 hours. icon_crssedfingers We're hoping the ease of the exchange and the money saved as well as no need to prepare the house for the market might be persuasive to all. Of course I have only seen the outside of the house so far!! :lol: But is has a cute little back and front yard; they house is probably 80 years old or so.

Oh fingers and paws crossed for you Karlin - and good luck for your move Mary too.

we went through all this about 2 years ago, moved from Norfolk to the far NE of Scotland, about 600 miles! Bit of a nightmare at the time, as we were homeless for a while - not funny with three dogs! - but it was well worth it, and we are really happy in our new home.

And yes, the primary considerations were a large garden for the doglets - we have just under 1/2 acre - lots of good walks, ground floor accomodation which would work for the doglets...it's not as if they were the priority icon_whistling

Sending lots of positive thoughts for the house moves!!

Not just me who does this then LOL We've moved twice in five years with hubby's job. Each time my prime considerations were for Maxx and the sort of garden etc we'd have for him :lol:

We've had the house ripped apart since moving in but I would only employ people who liked dogs and didn't mind Maxx sticking his nose in what they were doing - his fave trick was stealing plastic wall plugs from my electricians work box (who luckily, thought it was hilarious), he stole a set of keys from one of the kitchen fitters too - we know it was him because the first place I always look for missing items is Maxx's beds!

We've got laminate flooring right through the house now but paid an arm and a leg for it as we got this wonderful water resistant no slip stuff that looks like wood - well, I didn't want him to slip on it when playing or if he had an accident or have to banish him to another room if he got muddy :lol:

My friend says she doesn't know who's dafter, us or Maxx! :lol:

sorry to change the subject guys but i hope you don't mind me asking how many of your cavaliers have had health problems because i'm in the market for one but it seems they have a lot of problems.

Asperite said:
sorry to change the subject guys but i hope you don't mind me asking how many of your cavaliers have had health problems because i'm in the market for one but it seems they have a lot of problems.

Why don't you post a new Post topic about this rather than tacking it on to a totally different subject?/ You're more likely to get people to actually see the post and respond.

Hi Nicki -- No luck yet but I have been so busy in the past two months that I haven't really had time to think about houses except trying to get mine ready to sell. I am nearly ready now to do that and am heading out to Calif again shortly to check out houses. My mother is also looking at a few next week for me! My goal is to get all moved by start of September then I'm looking at about 2 years in the US.

Sorry to hear you've been so busy - fingers and paws crossed for the house hunt for you.

It would be good if you could get in by Sept so that you can be settled and sorted for the Winter.

Keep us posted, sending positive thoughts that the right house will be out there for you

Karlin - do you have an agent out here? We were looking at the market for a short time and got a recommendation for a good agent if you're interested.

Hope the hunt is going well!
-rory's mom.

Mom is working with two, one in Davis and one in Sac; but thanks for that kind offer. I'll be out there and looking during next week. I am also weighing up renting, if you know anyone who would rent for a year or two to someone with two dogs and a couple of cats in Davis! Very responsible, I can even provide Davis references.
:lol:

Sure. You're looking for a house? There's lots of rental options in Davis - being a college town and all. I'll keep my ears open. You're thinking September? A lot of the stuff for Sept is pre-leased because of students.

If you have time while you're here, we really sh ould try to meet up! I mean, you're going to be in Davis! I'll PM you w/ my phone. :D

I probably won't be able to connect this time as I'll be with my mother, but if I'm back looking again on my own, I could. It's a frustrating experience -- just don;t know what is possible to work out but I think it will be very difficult to rent with my dogs and cats. I'm weighing up various options on what to do including inctead coming out for a month or two each year instead to stay with my folks.

Back