• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dog biscuit recipes

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
These ran in the San Francisco Chronicle in December. I tried the second recipe mixed with elements of the first (fresh garlic, sauteed ground turkey, grated carrots) and it worked really well. Hard biscuits that the dogs really love and have kept well in an airtight container. You could sub in various other things too -- I used a dry vegetable soup mix, and you could use fresh parsley. I also subbed in about 1 cup regular flour for the whole wheat as I found the dough to heavy. They make a fun gift for another dog owner -- I used a poodle cookie cutter to make biscuits for some friends who have dogs.

These are in US measurements on the ingredients. 350 F = 160 C or about gasmark 4-5 for UK/European bakers.

Bully biscuits for dogs

5 pounds whole wheat flour (wholemeal)
2 packages dry onion soup mix
2 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
1 1/2 pounds grated carrots
1 bunch parsley, chopped fine, or 1 cup dried parsley
1 pound cooked beef, or chicken livers chopped fine
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups beef or chicken bouillon, milk or water

Preheat oven to 350 dgerees Fahrenheit. Mix flour, soup mix and garlic powder with shortening until mealy, using hand mixer and a very large bowl. Add carrots, parsley and meat and mix thoroughly. Add eggs and liquid and mix very well with hands. Divide into thirds for easier handling. Roll out 1/2 inch thick on board covered with cornmeal (available in Ireland at health food stores or as polenta mix at Tesco/etc). Cut out with cookie cutters. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 2 hrs or until very hard and dry (after 1 hour, you can turn biscuits over, which may speed cooking).

Everyday biscuits for dogs

2 teaspoons dry yeast (or one packet -- this is bread yeast you get in baking ingredients section of shops)
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock/bouillon
3 tablespoons honey
1 egg
1 cup oats, optional
5-6 cups wholemeal flour

Preheat oven to 350F. In large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in parsely, garlic, broth, honey, egg and oats. Gradually blend in flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.

Transfer to floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Shape dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, or shaping by hand, make biscuits. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet, spacing biscuits about 1/4 inch apart. Gather up scraps, roll again and cut additional biscuits.

Place in oven and begin checking biscuits after 15 minutes. Turn over when golden brown and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until lightly browned on both sides. After all biscuits are baked, turn oven off, spread biscuits on 1 or 2 baking sheets and set in overn to cool overnight. The extra time makes for a crisper, crunchier treat.

Another recipe with cavalier approval!

Bone AppetÌt Dog Biscuits
by Flo Braker

I never met a dog I didn't like. But recently I met one I can't resist. Her name is Chelsea, and she's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. This year, while baking holiday gifts for the people I love, it dawned on me that I'd never baked for an animal. So I searched the pantry for ingredients that would please canines.

My goal was to bake the healthiest, best-tasting dog biscuits. My dilemma was the formula. My research was four-fold: Sniffing out dog owners' favorite recipes; interviewing a cooking teacher who in her past life baked for dogs; reading commercial dog biscuit labels for ingredients; and hounding veterinarians for nutritional advice.

Finally, it was a matter of kitchen testing and dog biscuit-tasting -- peanut butter for flavor; egg as a binder; cereal for texture; powdered milk for nutrition; and garlic for flea prevention -- no salt or cornmeal (salt is not necessary in the diet and cornmeal is difficult to digest). Crispness is a matter of personal preference -- Chelsea prefers them bone dry (baked in a moderately slow oven for up to 3 hours).

Unfortunately just as some people can't eat chocolate, some dogs can't eat eggs. In that case, remove the egg from the ingredient list. After forming the dough, add additional water to make a dough that's just slightly sticky. Bone Appetit!

My Favorite Dog's Favorite Dog Biscuits

makes 3 dozen

People can eat these biscuits too, but the sugarless, salt-free dough is bitter before baking to its toasty-flavored, hard texture which rivals that of bones.

3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups multi-grain oatmeal (or old-fashioned oats)
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk powder
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Adjust rack to lower third of oven and preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Toss the whole wheat flour, multi-grain oatmeal, wheat germ and powdered milk in a large bowl to blend thoroughly. Blend the water, peanut butter and egg in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add to dry ingredients and stir until well blended. (Dough will be stiff. You might find it easier if you use your hands to knead the mixture together.) Dough will be a little moist and just slightly sticky.

Roll or pat dough to a 1/2-inch thick layer. Cut out biscuit shapes with a 3-inch bone-shaped cookie cutter. Scraps are reusable. Place on baking sheet and bake for about 1 1/2 hours. For crisper, drier biscuits bake an additional hour to an hour and half. Store in an airtight metal container.

From http://www.bpe.com/food/columns/braker/dog_biscuits.htm

Back