• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The doglet's favourite recipes

Nicki

Liver Cake

1 lb Lambs liver (organic preferably)
1 Large Mug full of Porridge Oats with bran – more to make it firmer.
1 whole bulb of garlic - peeled

Put it all in a food processor, zap until smooth.

Pour it in to greased tin of some sort...I use a swiss roll type tin. {I found the non stick liner paper works well!}

Place it in oven on 190 degrees, for about 20 minutes, until firm.

When it's cool, cut it into squares {this is easiest with scissors}

Keeps for about 5 days in the fridge, 1 month + in the freezer.

Sardine Cake Recipe

4 tins sardines or 1 large tin pilchards put into a bowl and mash with a fork.... add 4 eggs, as much garlic or garlic powder as you like. Stir in plain flour to make a consistency that will 'just' about drop off the spoon...put into a greased dish and cook for about 7 minutes in the microwave or cover with a greased paper and pop into the Aga until cooked. Freezes really well and if you get the mixture right it bounces too.......& it does

Alternative:

I do this with 2 1/2 cups of porridge oats {the ones with bran if poss} instead of flour, 2 tins sardines and 2 eggs, and ½ to 1 bulb of garlic. Makes the sardines go further!! Also better because it’s lower in salt. Add enough water to mix.

I have done the above substituting a large tin of Tuna {approx 400g} for the sardines, also with 2 tins of Salmon {when it was on special offer!} – both were very popular!

Garlic biscuits

3 cups of flour (I used wholemeal)
2 eggs
One teaspoon of garlic powder
Water

Put chunks of the doughy mix on a floured baking tray.
Bake at 220 degrees c for 10 minutes and then cut into chunks of about 1cm and cook for a further 5 minutes.

The result looks a bit like winalot mixer, but the dogs approve.

Alternative:

½ tbsp dried thyme
2 sprigs of parsley
½ bulb garlic
2 cups brown bread flour
1 egg
water to mix

Cook as above

Ice Lollies

Cover chicken carcass with water and bring to the boil in a large saucepan.

Boil for about ½ hour, then leave to cool.

Carefully remove all the bones and discard.

Refrigerate the remaining liquid. Once cold, skim the fat off the surface.

Pour into small yogurt pots, and freeze. {or kongs}

The pots are easy to remove by running under cold water.

I give these to the doglets in the garden, as they’re a bit messy, but much appreciated in the hot weather.

Kong Filling

{I haven’t tried this, and to be honest, can’t remember where it came from!! A dog forum of some kind anyway!!}

3 tbsp. peanut butter 2 tbsp. honey
1 very ripe banana or a large jar of baby food fruit, any flavor
1 16 ounce container vanilla yogurt
1 tbsp. whole wheat flour

Mix the peanut butter, honey, and fruit together until well blended. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt and flour, mix well. Add the fruit mixture to the yogurt and blend together. Put into your dogs Kong, or if you like keep cold in refrigerator.

Use this dip to coat or dip biscuits and treats into. Allow treats to chill in refrigerator until coating is set and firm; this prevents big messes!

These are all great! I'll be going through all the recipe posts of the past few days and giving them a try.

Those recipes sound great Nicki.

I'm always looking for good alternatives to just dog food as Chloe has to be the fussiest eater around and I run out of ideas what to cook for her.

If only I could just open a tin!!

I'll let you know how she likes them icon_thumbsup

I bet that kong filling would freeze well too. I haven't really tried kongs in a long time. Jaspar used to not be that interested (I know, I have a cavalier who isn't interested in Greenies OR kongs with food, what CAN be wrong with him!! :lol: ).

Karlin, yes I think it would freeeze well, and would be great for the summer!

Julie - sorry to hear that Chloe is a fussy doglet - both of mine were fussy until they were neutered - now they're completely food obsessed and will eat ANYTHING!

Not sure what you are feeding at the moment, but it may be worth trying Burns. They have an excellent website and helpline, and most doglets seem to like the food too.

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Thanks for the info Nicki. I will give it a try and see how we get on. I'll keep you informed.

Lots of fans of Burns in Ireland as well. It is hard to find here or I would try it. I've used Royal Canin 27, for small breeds, and my guys like that. They dont get dry more than about 2 days a week though -- otherwise it is home cooked or raw or sardines or whatever. I like the dry for their treat balls as well; the 27 is a nice small size.

Karlin, this is the contact info for Burns for Ireland:

Burns Pet Nutrition products are available from selected stockists throughout Southern Ireland.
Please contact Burns Pet Nutrition Ireland on (061) 330534
or by email at
[email protected]

Burns Pet Nutrition Ireland
Killonan
Ballysimon
Co Limerick
Ireland
tel 00-353-61-330534 / fax 00-353-61-335678

They deliver to us, but we have to order 30kg to get free delivery, otherwise it's an extra £5. :roll:

I like to use Burns in a treat ball too - it's the perfect size.

This ist he US website:

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/USproducts.htm

Hope this helps!

Back