• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Throwing up...

Paris

My 5 1/2 month old Cav Paris has been throwing up all morning. She got dinner (1/2 cup Evo w/ spoonfull of canned) last night at about 9pm. She was fine last night. This morning I let her out to potty, then put her in her crate and was going to grab her piece of chicken for her breakfast, when I came back she had thrown up in her crate. It was her well-digested dinner. Of course I didn't give her any breakfast. I let her take a drink of water, and she threw that up too. Any ideas why she would be throwing her dinner up now rather then last night? I don't want to rush her to the vet unless it needs vet attention. She was only out to potty for 5 mins, and I didn't notice her eating anything out there. I know my boss has given her shepards Pepto-Bismo for upset tummies before. Should I do that? She only weighs 8 lbs.

Kali

Hi Kali.

Try giving her an ice cube to eat/suck on and see how that goes. Don't give her the pepto yet... let just see how she is in an hour or so... we'll be here, so post and let us know ;)

Maggie

I talked to my boss after I posted that and she suggested an ice cube too. Paris licked it for while, but keeps throwing up clear. There is a little "foam" but its all clear..... She is NOT happy with me as she is currently in her crate with no blankets or toys.

Kali

Jake has gone through periods of throwing up. Once he gets his dinner up it's usually just clear stuff. I usually don't worry about him unless it goes more than 24 hours. But, it is important to keep her hydrated, ie ice-cubes. Let us know how it's going.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just keep giving her an ice cube, even if she does throw it up. I feel sorry for the poor girl, shes been in her crate, so shes all yucky with barf. I called the vet and they said basically the same thing, keep an eye on her and if it gets worse to call them. I'll keep you updated :)

Kali

I have had this happen with Audrey. After about 2 hours she stopped throwing up. The vet told me not to feed her for 12 to 24 hours and then introduce small amounts. She was fine in 24 hours. The cause of Audrey's was a chunk of "greenie" in her system. Did Paris have any bones or other things she could have in her system even sometime yesterday before her dinner? If so keep your eye on her poop for evidence. I hope she recovers soon. Poor baby!

I went out and found her poop from this morning. it was normal. Yesterday she had her raw mix for breakfast (Natures Variety), then about noon I gave her what she hadn't finished the day before of a beef rib, not to eat, just to chew basically. Then around 9 she had dinner, I miss-typed earlier it was a 1/4th a cup (not a half) of Evo w/ a spoonfull of canned food. She did have a couple of treats but nothing new and I don't know if she chewed on her greenie at all. She has one on the floor she has been chewing on & off. Shes teething so shes not as eagar to eat them all at once. She does have a few other chews on the floor, but I don't remember her chewing on them. I checked the toys she has out for missing pieces too.

Kali

Kali

Sorry to hear about poor Paris :roll: - hope she's feeling better now.

With any digestive upset, I starve the doglets for 24 hours, then give baked potato {with the jackets} and 2 tablespoons of BIO {live} natural yoghurt. That seems to put them right quickly.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Paris, it's so worrying when they are little

How's she doing now? She may have gotten a bit bigger of a piece of bone than she can handle. Or sometimes doggies just get upset tummies like humans.

Ok well I gave her a little bit of Evo about half an hour ago, just a little bit, less then 1/4 cup. She drank some water too, and it hasn't come back up yet. She is playfull, but I'm keeping her in her crate, cuz I don't want her to barf on my floor. Hopefully shes done, she will need a bath, but I'm waiting to make sure theres nothing more coming up!

Kali

Well it started again. :? Its now 5pm, I called the vet and they of course don't have any time to see her tonite, and the emergency place is spendy, so I made an appointment for 9 am tomorrow and I'm going to take her in then. She just throwing up bile, its gross. I've gone thru almost a half a container of clorox wipes. Hopefully it stops. I feel sorry for the poor thing. Plus I can't sit in the same room as her because she just whines cuz she wants out of her crate. Shes been in there all day except to go potty.

Kali

Poor Paris! Sounds like an upset tummy having gone on so long. Maybe like the 24 hour flu- we send wags and kisses for a better day tomorrow.
Audrey and Dee icon_flowers cavtiny

Well its now 11:30 pm and heres the story. She kept throwing up so I made the vet appointment. My vet saw that Paris was down to come in due to vomiting. So she gave me a call. She asked how long she had been vomiting, I said 7 am, at this point it was 5pm. She said if it continued much longer to take her to the emergency vet clinic. Since she only weighs 8lbs they didnt want her to lose too much fluid. The vet clinic I go to is attached to the ER vet. So at 8pm with Paris still feeling icky and me tired of mopping up barfy spittles I took her to the vet. They checked everything over, nothing is wrong :? By the time we had gotten to the vet and sat there & such it was 9pm, and she hadn't thrown up. They gave her a little water, she was fine. SOOOO Kali just spent 60 bucks at the vet for them to tell me nothing is wrong, except she is throwing up. She wasn't dehydrated at all, nothing wrong when they feel her tummy, NOTHING. They just said to take water away for the rest of the night, then they gave me 2 cans of I/D (Yum yum!) to give to her as it is "bland" (I could easily make a mix of something suitable!) So I am to feed her a little I/D tomorrow and see how it goes.. hopefully it all goes down and stays there!!!! Paris is now home, fast asleep in her crate. Thanks for all the advice and support, hopefully we have no more barfing! She hasn't thrown up since 7:30 ish.... so I'm thinking we are in the clear... tummy virus I hope.

Kali

Ugh... well at least it was only $60.. our ER clinic costs $100 to walk in the door and just talk to a clinic vet. A typical trip there for us costs $300!!

How is she feeling this morning?

So glad Paris is OK....they are just like our babies...they get sick...we worry...and usually things turn out just fine thank goodness.

Sorry about the trip to the emergency vets - that's typical, they make a dramatic recovery as soon as you get there!

Hope Paris is feeling much better now, poor wee soul.

She woke me up at 8am this morning and wanted her breakfast (she sat in front of the fridge and wouldn't move) So I gave her about 1/4th can of the I/D and she gobbled it all up, that was at 8 it is now 12. No barfing yet :D And she is running around playing. So shes fine today.

Kali

Wow what a drama; I'm glad she's keeping things down. Jaspar went thru a phase of vomiting for a day after he ate something unknown off the sidewalk. The one thing about raw -- it CAN contain potentially risky organisms depending on how the meat has been handled, how frozen has been stored, etc and many vets do feel there is always a risk attached to feeding raw. Now I feed raw and will continue to do so but I have actually cut down on what I feed raw and the types of meat. Having read a recent piece on another list about the potential problems with frozen raw I don't think I would ever buy it. If I can find the email I might post it here -- have to catch a LOOOOONG flight back to Ireland from San Francisco this afternoon so may be a ltitle while.

Not trying to discourage anyone from food choices but do be aware that stomach upset could be the result of something semi-toxic in a raw diet.

Back