• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Miniature Cavaliers

Cathy T

Has anyone heard about people breeding miniature cavaliers? I didn't know there was such a thing. I was talking to my groomer yesterday and she said she had seen one. Not a very pretty looking dog though.

Funny you should mention this, Cathy. I wonder if that is what the miller that little Katy, my new Lucky Star girl, had in mind. She is the tiniest thing, only weighs 8.2 pounds and will be two in June. Toni speculated that she didn't produce for them so they put her on the auction block. Allie and Topper look like giants next to her! :shock:

Could be. Shauna was not impressed. She said it was not a very pretty dog, very stumpy looking.

By the way, could you all stay out of my dreams! I had the wildest dream last night that there were about 40 of us attending a dog show and we all were spending the night at either your house or Bonnie's. I couldn't tell whose house it was. It was funny!!

Glad I'm not the only one who has strange dreams!!

yes I've heard about miniature Cavaliers too - referred to as Tea-cup Cavaliers. I don't think it's a good idea, as it can cause health problems, and we have enough of those anyway :(

I suppose people will buy them because they are different...

I can imagine they might have probems having puppies. I know the breeder Laura Lang has commented before on these, about how they often do not look much like cavaliers and that she thinks breeding minitiarised dogs introduces new health problems or exacerbates existing ones (especially as anyone breeding in this way is sure not breeding for show or for health anyway). I also wonder if the small size would increase the risk of SM because of the decreased skull size. I know Laura is already of the feeling that breeding smaller more compact dogs with smaller heads, even within the breed standard, may well be selecting for SM genes. :cry: I have a gut feeling this is probably right.

Unfortunately you can see from the various cavalier boards and lists that many pet owners get quite excited at the idea of how small their cavalier is and hope that it stays at the bottom end or below the breed standard in size. This comes up all the time when someone starts asking about how big their puppy will grow -- usually what they really seem to be asking is how small might their puppy stay. :|

The breeder we bought Izzy from started "breeding smaller". You can see the trend in the dogs we have bought from her:

Mom's Lucy - 5 yrs - 22 lbs
Friend's Abbey - 4 yrs - 25 lbs (yesshe's a bit overweight, but still larger)
Mom's Zoey - 3 yrs - 14 lbs
My Izzy - 2 yrs - 13 lbs

What a huge trend that is downward. Sophie isn't from the same breeder and is on the small side (just over 10 lbs at 1 year). She was also pretty sick as a puppy and didn't grow as much as she should have. Her parents were both 15 lbs.

I'm of the mind that if you want a teeny tiny dog...get a yorkie!! I admit I was initially attracted to the breed due to size as well as temperament. But my Jake is 22 lbs and Shelby is 18 (and a solid 18!). My breeder apologized that Jake has gotten so big. Frankly, I am pleased with his appearance. I really didn't want a dog so tiny I had to be careful because of fragility. Love my "big" dogs to pieces!

I just took Gem in for her 1 year check up. She weighed in at 22.6 lbs. Her ribs are easily felt and the vet and vet tech didn't seem to think she was overweight. I guess like Jake, she is just on the big side of the bell curve.
J.

Jay said:
I just took Gem in for her 1 year check up. She weighed in at 22.6 lbs. Her ribs are easily felt and the vet and vet tech didn't seem to think she was overweight. I guess like Jake, she is just on the big side of the bell curve.
J.

Sounds like it. Jake is 23 lbs and Shelby is a very solid 18. I have cut back on Shelby's food because she could stand to lose a couple of lbs. She's a teeny bit pudgy. Now that she is active again and I've reduced her food we'll see what happens.

I got an e-mail from my "cavalier mentor" and said there is no such thing as a miniature cavalier. She also asked if I could get further info on the breeder who is advertising as such. We'll see.

I just bought my first (notice I said first) Cavalier last year and plan on getting another this summer and initially was very against getting a small, pure breed. We had Cocker Spaniels growing up and they were very tempermental; they bit children, growled at my brother and clearly favored certain people in our family. My boyfriend convinced me to look at Cavaliers as he has a young daughter and we wanted to find a dog who would integrate well in a smaller home with 3 people, be affectionate, not aggressive, good with kids, social...we found Lester and he just rocks; he has the sweetest, silliest demeanor of any dog I have ever met! He does have a health issue and he is barely a year old. This won't stop me from getting another, but concerns me deeply when I hear that breeders are trying to manipulate a breed of dog that has serious health issues already! This cannot be a good thing. Lester is 1 year and a lean 16 pounds (ridiculously active) and if he gets bigger, great! Just more dog to warm my lap!

skeezmo said:
I just bought my first (notice I said first) Cavalier last year and plan on getting another this summer ... if he gets bigger, great! Just more dog to warm my lap!

It is so much fun having two. They are great together.

If you want a warm lap...try holding Jake in your lap. He is such a solid boy. My breeder apologized for how big he got, but I just think there's more to love.

You think Jake is big - you should see my Maxxy LOL

Everyone who meets him says 'He's HUGE!' He's more like the size of a Springer in height and has towered over just about every other Cavalier we have ever met!

He is 14kg but the vet says he only has about another 2kg to lose as he is so big!

And there was me thinking I was getting a little lap dog!!!!

Whoa!! I just looked at a conversion chart and that is big!! I love Jake's size. I've seen some really tiny cavaliers but I just think with Jake there is more to love.

You know what Cathy? I agree with you 100% Maxx is such a loving boy & follows me everywhere. I love him to the ends of the Earth and back again :D

I'd love him just as much no matter what size he was though LOL

Back