• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eeee! I've decided to vaccinate Bentley myself

BarbMazz

icon_yikes

After much deliberation, and after NOT being able to find a vet who will vaccinate the way I would prefer icon_crying , I've decided to start vaccinating my dogs myself, according to Dr Jean Dodds schedule.

I've ordered Progard 5 for Bentley's one yr vacc's, on the advice and recommendation of his breeder (Laura). I ordered from Revival Animal's website. It should be here in a couple of days. icon_thumbsup

I will still take him to a vet for his rabies shot, a month after I've given him the Progard.

I'll let you know how it goes shooting up poor lil Bentley! icon_crssedfingers

Barb

I vaccinate my pups myself Barb and have no problem. I use the same one that you have ordered. I stand them on a counter and give them a bowl of food and the adults never even flinch during their shot. Sassy my 14 week old takes a little more patience but is also pretty good.

That's very brave, not sure I could do that :shock:

Do you vaccinate in the neck or in the hind leg {thigh?} Mary?

Some American vets now seem to vaccinate Cavaliers in the hind leg, due to the sadly increasing incidence of Syringomyelia.

I have used the skin between the shoulder blades up to now but may use the thigh in the future. I still take them into the vets for their rabies but with multiple dogs this does save some money to do the routine vac at home. When I had my horse I always vaccinated them myself and did this past year or so start doing the dogs routinely. Being a nurse I feel comfortable doing this.

When I was *young* ;) and had horses I would assist the vet when he came to call.. I'd help him float teeth, worm, give shots, etc., so I'm not really afraid to do it.

I'm planning on giving it in the thigh. Animal Revival told me they send very detailed instructions on how to administer.

For the dose of Progard 5, syringes and shipping, comes to $22 US, which I thought wasn't bad!

I'll take Bentley to the vet for rabies, since I need the documentation and tag, etc.

Maybe if I chicken out about the shot, I'll just take the dose with me to his vet appt. next week! icon_whistling

Barb

karlin said:
What does 'floating' teeth mean? Dare I ask? icon_yikes

Filing those rough edges off with a metal file...lovely to help with-I always got to hold onto the tongue..yeeewhh

Karlin,

As horses chew, their teeth wear unevenly (they also keep growing!)... once per year or so they need to have them filed so they are even, and that's what floating is; filing to even teeth out so there is even wear, and also to avoid mouth injury due to sharpness or a too uneven bit which can cause jaw problems.

The tool used looks just like a big nail file, basically!

It's not hard, and most horses don't seem to mind too much.

Barb

Back