• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our day out...

Nicki

I thought I'd share with you some photos of a recent day out - the weather was just beautiful. Since then we've had gales, hail, rain and one morning we even woke up to snow :shock:

Our first stop was the Findhorn Valley - it's a good place to spot the extremely rare and elusive Golden Eagle, but we were not in luck that day. :( We did however see Peregrine, Raven and a Red Deer Stag who was really close to a house! We got quite close to him, but unfortunately misplaced the memory card from my camera with the photos of him on! It fell down the side of a cliff, hubby nearly went with it icon_yikes but was ok!

Outing-FIndhorn-T.jpg

We drove up through the hills, and came across a dead mountain hare - rather sad, but the first I've ever seen, dead or alive.

A later stop was by the beautiful Loch Farr - a small loch, which you come upon by surprise as you round a bend in the road -

Outing-Loch-Farr.jpg

hubby photographing the loch!

Outing-the-photographer.jpg

Rupert waiting patiently in the car

Outing-Rupert.jpg

and Princess Peaches

Outing-Peaches.jpg

We then went to Glen Affric - on the way seeing a Red Squirrel crossing the road - they are quite rare now, it's the first we've seen in 2 years of living in Scotland.

The small birds there are obviously used to being fed - this little Chaffinch was trying to get into the car with me, to have some Hot Cross Bun!

OutingChaffinch---sharpened.jpg

The day was rounded off nicely with a sunset on the way home {Dornoch firth}

OutingSunset-April-outing.jpg

[/i]

gorgeous pictures!!!! I'd love to go to Scotland. Have you always lived there? Thanks for posting.

Nicki, Thanks for the Scotland hills and lochs fix! icon_thumbsup

They were just the ticket for me this morning!

Nice photography work, btw!

Barb

Thanks - we're both very keen on photography, I have a little Canon Powershot A 85, which I had for Christmas but am still learning to use :roll:

Hubby has a Canon EOS 20D - he took the Findhorn Valley photo.

Rosalie, we've been here almost 2 years. We were living in Norfolk previously, and prior to that in the South East.

We moved here for the peace and quiet, wildlife, scenery and the people - it's a wonderful area to live, and we know how lucky we are! :D

This is our cottage - it needs a lot of work, but will be wonderful when it's finished!!

snowcottage.jpg

There is something about the light in Scotland, and your photos have caught it!

Your cottage looks wonderful.. what kind of work are you doing on it?

Barb

What beautiful pictures. You just want to sit and look at them for a few minutes and draw a deep breath.

Oh those are just gorgeous -- all the scenery, with or without dogs! :lol: Those bare hills are similar to the west of Ireland, yet somehow Scotland and Ireland are always different in feel, too.

I always think of vanishing to a cottage... what a beautiful home; I bet there are both frustrations and joys for you in renovating an oldie! I loved finding things like salvaged iron fireplaces to put back into my Dublin house (built around 1899); also the workmanship on the plank floors, still tightly fitting after 100 years.

Please more pics when you have days out like this! icon_drivingcar

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing your piece of the world. I love your cottage!!

Our day out -Scotland

Nicki, I really enjoyed the photos of N.E. Scotland. I just adore your little cottage. Looks like something artist, Thomas Kincaid, would use in one of his paintings.

What is the difference between a firth and a loch? :?

Count me among those wanting to see more photos. icon_banana

Dorothy
Washington cavtiny

What beautiful pictures! So peaceful. I love the bird and of course Rupert and Princess Peaches.

Nikki what beautiful photo's. I would love to visit Scotland one day.

Where abouts in the South East did you live?. Thats where I grew up, but for the last 19 years have lived in the South West in Cornwall where the scenery is equally as beautiful as Scotland. Aren't we lucky to be surrounded with such beauty? :D

Sorry for not replying sooner - been a bit distracted!

Glad you like the cottage too - I will dig out some more photos, and we have another outing planned for the end of next week - weather permitting!

Dorothy, a Firth is a long, narrow inlet of the sea and a Loch is a lake {or an arm of the sea similar to a fjord - just to confuse the issue!}

Julie, lucky you living in Cornwall - we had our honeymoon near Bodmin Moor, and just love that area - have had quite a few holidays in Devon and Cornwall over the years. Where are you from?

I was born in Middlesex - lived in Ickenham and Denham, but mainly brought up in Buckinghamshire - various small villages all around High Wycombe. Also lived in Herts - Hemel Hempstead, Beds - a small village near Leighton Buzzard, and back in Middlesex for a few years - Uxbridge/Hillingdon areas.

So pleased we moved up here though - we've put down roots here, and feel really settled.

Perhaps everyone would like to post photos of where they live? It would be lovely to see where you all are!

Wow Nicki you have moved around a lot.

I'm an Essex girl without the blonde hair and stiletto shoes!

I lived in Benfleet near Southend and after many nice holidays in Cornwall decided to move here. I live in Newquay famous for it's surfing. With miles and miles of glorious beaches we have plenty of nice places to walk Chloe.

Oh you're lucky to be in Cornwall - lots of gorgeous beaches. I've been through Newquay, but not spent much time there.

We have family in Essex -sister and family at Hutton just outside Brentwod, SIL at Brentwood, MIL at Rayleigh - plus BIL and all his clan!!

Small world, isn't it?

We go down to Essex every year to visit...

Yes it is a small world isn't it?
I know all those places very well. I still have a brother who lives in Hadleigh and a good friend in Daws Heath Thundersley.
We will be in Essex at the end of next month to visit some friends of ours who will be over from Arizona and will be based in Ipswich. I like going back for visits but love it when I'm back in Cornwall.

Oh it will be lovely to see your friends from Arizona - I guess they don't visit that often!

We're going down in October I think - we look after our friends' two Cavaliers when they go away - either they bring them up to us {yes they drive 630 miles to leave the dogs with us, fly back, go on holiday, fly up again, spend some time with us and then drive home...more devoted Cavalier owners!!} or we go to them. They actually bought our bungalow in Sea Palling, Norfolk from us, so we go back "home" to visit!

We will probably be in Essex for a week, then Norfolk for 2 weeks.

It does make you appreciate your own home - and the scenery! - though when you get back...

I quess you have to be a cavvie lover to understand why you would travel the country just to know your babies are being well cared for in your absence. icon_drivingcar

I have always been lucky that my parents have Chloe for us if we can't take her with us. They love her as much as we do so you know she is being totally spoilt and well looked after. :D

Nicki...besides Rory's Moms pictures...these are the most beautiful pics I have seen in a while....How blessed for you to have such wonderful places to get away too. And your babies are really and I mean really beautiful Cavaliers !....I must have missed this post for awhile.....

Back