• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new California plans!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Due to bay area prices and buying madness outstripping my ability to pay or cope :lol: -- there were 25 offers on a house I last bid on, no rebids, and it went 25% over asking -- and not even in a great area -- I think I will remain this summer in Dublin and shift focus to Sacramento (hi rory!!).

I spent my high school years in nearby Davis, worked a couple years in Sac, and have dear friends and a favourite cousin there. Plus my parents would love to have a base for visits to old Davis friends, now that they've retired to the bay area. And I can goi down weekly and bring the dogs and stay a coupe, nights with my folks and work (as I cover the tech area as a journalist).

Close to mountains and river rafting, and close enough to San Francisco for trips there. Plus the market is much saner and my hard earned sponduliks go further.

So that's the working plan. It could all change yet again! But at least it means I don't feel under so much immediate pressure. The only problem is, I moved a pile of clothes to my parents' house on the assumption that a move was imminent and now am hoping it was my winter and not my summer clothes!! :eek:

It was just so exasperating this last trip. I think I need a long recovery before going back in and trying to buy. Oh how I hate trying to buy a house from thousands of miles away... :yikes:

Yay!!!! We can have lots of puppy play dates! And you can bring your pets to Davis for great vet care! What a fantastic plan! And now I FURTHER extend my offer of assistance if any way possible! If you wanted to ship some of your pets out early, I'm sure I could find willing vet students to watch them if I couldn't... (Of course, if it was the DOGS I would of course keep them!) :D

Be warned, though, that Davis is still pretty pricey. :roll: But Sacramento's market is still pretty fair.

Davis has always been higher, veen back in the 70s. I could always see if I could rebuy 835 B Street, which was my home for many years (along with a house after my parents got out in El Macero). I like the old parts of Sac though. Thanks for various offers; you might end up with some cavaliers short term!! :) Actually do you or anyone around know of any good cat boarding places around there; I may opt for coming out, bringing dogs and needing to board cats for a bit. It will be great for the doglets to play together.

Hey, Karlin, are you selling your Dublin house? If not, I know someone who would LOVE to watch it for you.....

ME! :D

Good luck with your Sacramento house search

Barb

:lol: Yes I have to sell in order to buy... ;) The idea being that if I return to work here in 2-3 years and need to buy, I should benefit from what I hope will be a recovered dollar! It will all depend on what my newspaper thinks by that time.

Boy I can say I am sure happy to get a little breathing space though. I think I've looked at 50 houses or more, and more online, in between the east and south bay and peninsula and Marin. I need a break!

I'll ask around about boarding facilities, but an ideal situation would be if you could find a vet student or someone to watch them for you -- that's what I was suggesting. Especially someone w/o other cats.

So when are you thinking of moving out, now? fall?

Next time you come to CA, we'll have to meet up if you have time. :)

I would LOVE to watch your boys short term!!! :D :D :D (Ii would offer the same for the cats, but I'm afraid my 3 cats wouldn't tolerate it too well... :? )

I'm waiting to see if another bay area trip comes up in the next two months so I can get back, then go look with my mom. June and July are always busy for work events, then August is dead -- nothing happens in the industry then. I'd love to get a trip in June to look at places. Or will wait til September when flight prices drop. I just need a few weeks to recoup and replan. Talking to some old friends in Sac for some ideas.

This must be such an exhausting time for you. I can't think of anything worse than house hunting at the best of times let alone in another country.
Good luck.

Oh Karlin you must be exhausted - it was hard enough buying a house from 600 miles away {when we moved to Scotland from Norfolk, and had to sell before we could offer here, as offers are legally binding}, it must be a nightmare buying "across the pond" :shock:

Our cottage here had 72 viewings, including us, which was astounding for this area.

Hopefully a break for a few months will do you good - we really hope that the new plans will work out - keep us posted. Sending lots of positive thoughts that you will find the perfect home for you and all the furries.

Back