Thread: New Irish microchop regulations

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New Irish microchop regulations

As part of the effort to crack down on Irish puppy farms (from which cavaliers are a key export to the UK and US/Canada) the irish government and the irish Kennel Club (IKC) are to bring in mandatory microchipping of ALL puppies registered with the IKC from January 2006.

This means all puppies must be microchipped in order to get their registrations. How this will be administered, I do not know.

Obviously some breeders/puppy famrers will get around this but the good thing is, it will mean if a broker or mill sells anIrish cavalier supposedly with Irish IKC papers -- the buyer will definitely have legal redress I should think if it turns out the dog isn't microchipped as then the paperwork is probably forged. Most if not all US states would see that as a violation of contract. Alternatively it means that if the dog IS registered and that particular breeder is producing vast numbers of puppies or sickly puppies that are traced back to a particular breeder, there's a greater chance of redress and of the breeder being banned.

This is just one element of a set of new requirements that are supposed to be coming in. If/when I can find out what the others are, I'll post. The Irish govt asked for submissions on the puppy farm issue last autumn and I among many other groups and individuals that I know in rescue/welfare made a submission. Fingers crossed something tangible comes out of it in addition to the microchipping requirement. I'd be interested to hear what others think of the usefulness of the microchipping requirement?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

What keeps the puppy millers from just microchipping all their dogs?
    I do see benefit in being able to trace dogs, though. If they do chip their dogs.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The point is to force them to microchip. Then every puppy is traceable to origin, for the life of the dog. Also it gives the IKC a way of seeing where litters are coming from. I am guessing this is going to be used in conjunction with tighter security at airports for export and so on. There are a number of things that could be done; it all depends on what will be funded, required, etc.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It sounds like a step in the right direction, Karlin, at least the origins of the dog will be traceable.

On the subject of microchips though, are you aware that they don't prove legal ownership of the dog? You are only the legal owner of the chip.

There is a lengthy article on this in this month's Dogs Today magazine, if anyone wants to know more, I'll try to type out the relevant bits!

Thanks for letting us know about this - please keep us posted!

The only thing I am slightly concerned about is microchipping dogs who may have Syringomyelia, this can then be painful for them
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Rory was chipped as a puppy before we got him, so I wouldn't worry about syringomyelia symptoms in a puppy. Although the needles are pretty big, I bet it hurt anyway.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras