• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jake's grandaddy

Cathy T

I just got an e-mail from my breeder that Jake's grandaddy (my breeder owns Jake's mom and his grandad) passed away Saturday from a heart condition just days shy of 9 years old.

I think anyone who owns a cavalier knows that at some point dealing with a heart condition is a very real possibility. I am so sad to hear about Atlas. He was a beautiful guy and my breeder's first cavalier. He was tested clear at 5 years old.

Kind of makes my heart drop. Makes me scared for Jake. I will just continue to get my guys heart checked every year and hope for the best.

Oh Cathy I'm so sorry about Jake's Granddaddy - sending thoughts and prayers for his breeder, and love and strength.

Sending you and Jake a big hug - and one for Shelby too.

Sadly MVD is still the cause of death of 40% of Cavaliers, so something many of us will have to face at some point. Annual testing is very sensible, the best things we can do are to keep our Cavaliers slim {Not always easy with those "Feed me" eyes ;) } and to keep them exercised so they are as fit as possible.

Once they are diagnosed, then these things become even more important - also to avoid taking them out in the heat, and to avoid stress as much as possible.

Many Cavaliers do still live to a good age even with higher grades of murmur, and the medication available is very good.

Nicki - my pups will be tested annually. I know of so many people who own cavaliers who have heart issues. I knew going into this that it would be something I would eventually have to deal with. The encouraging part is how many are being managed and thriving. I do think that after our scare with cancer with Jake that I feel so fortunate that at 2 1/2 he's still with me. I am pretty obsessed about checking him over (Shelby as well). Had I not been as vigilant as I was I don't think I would have caught his cancer as quickly as I did and ended up with such wonderful results.

Back