Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will I or won't I?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

CONGRATULATIONS BAWNIE on your precious new puppy

We're looking forward to a photo asap!! No pressure though!

Rupert had a large crate in the kitchen, with a cardboard box lined with vetbed for his bed. Puppies can be very destructive, and it doesn't matter if they destory the cardboard. Vet bed is excellent, if they do wet then the liquid soaks to the base of the fabric, so they don't lie on a damp patch. It's very easy to wash and dry too.

At the time we had a Westie, so Rupert wasn't on his own. But the first night I slept on the sofa with him in the crate, so that he had company.

After that I set my alarm to take him out every night.

I also took him out every time he woke up, after every meal, after play sessions/exciting events, and every 1-2 hours in between.
    He very quickly grapsed house training, and was trained in two weeks - at 9 1/2 weeks. Some dogs learn quicker than others, and really you shouldn't expect them to be totally trained until at least 6 months, often 1 year.

Lots of praise when they go in the right place, if they have an accident indoors, then ignore it, and put them outside whilst you clean up. IF you actually catch them toiletting indoors, then say no and carry them outside quickly to finish off - then lots of praise.

If we have another puppy, then it will have a small crate next to the bed - more comforting for both of you, and you can easily tell that they are becoming restless and need to go out.

Remember, no running up and down stairs until at least six months, and lots of short play sessions to build up the muscles and burn off some energy.

You can start basic training too - sit, down, walk to heel off lead in the house and garden. VERY short sessions, just a couple of minutes, as they have very short attention spans.

At the end of the day, markings don't really matter - it's the character that counts, and we all have the most handsome/beautiful Cavalier in the World!!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

See you'll get all sorts of advice and we all do things differently -- except we all are crazy about these dogs...
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's Zoe!

[img]

hi all, have tried to put Zoe on this page but can't quite manage it yet sorry.

She's settling in very well. Have her using outside to go to the toilet already. Have but one worry, she's only eaten one meal today and her tummy is quite bloated. Think she has a little upset tum which is to be expected I suppose. Hopefully she'll be better after she's had a good night's sleep. Can't stay long as I have to be up in 4 hours for a toilet break with her, she's doing better than I expected. Mad about her already and it's only been two days!

It's amazing how quick they capture your heart. She is the dog that dreams are made of. Thank you one and all for your support and advice, long may it continue!
    Regards
    [/img]
    Bawnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Bawnie --

Has she been to the vet for her first check up?

Puppies are so small that they do look really full after they've eaten and maybe that's what you are seeing and it is nothing to worry about. Now and then they may decide to skip a meal or two and it is usually nothing to worry about. See how she is in the morning but do book her in for her first vet visit if she hasn't been yet!

It's possible that she may need to be wormed unless the breeder did this recently. Worms can cause bloating but so can other things or it may be nothing at all.

As for images -- you can't post one directly from your computer; you need to upload it to a site like photobucket.com or flickr.com (which is free) and then resize it to a size that fits comfortably on the screen. Basic info from the Board Guidelines section:

4) To post pictures in the gallery, you need to upload the images to a photo storage site like flickr.com or photobucket.com. These sites let you resize and/or choose the size image you want to use. Please keep images smaller than about 6-7 inches across or they distort all the posts on that particular thread! To post an image, copy the url of the picture, then click the IMG button on the message menu, paste the URL, then click the IMG button again. You can choose 'preview' (rather than 'submit') to see if your link worked.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Here's Zoe!

Quote Originally Posted by bawnie
    Mad about her already and it's only been two days!

It's amazing how quick they capture your heart. She is the dog that dreams are made of. Thank you one and all for your support and advice, long may it continue!
    Regards
    [/img]
    You've been bit by the cavalier bug!! Just wait til you start thinking about your 2nd one!! icon_yikes

I can't say I fell instantly in love with Jake because he was such a pill! He was my first dog in 20 years and required so much attention. I just didn't know how to handle him. Shelby wrapped herself around my heart instantly because she fit in so smoothly. Thanks to her big brutha Jake showing her the ropes.

I just am so in love with these guys. I can sit and love on the pups forever. My favorite thing is the have Jake laying across my lap and Shelby across my arm, at the same time. Surrounded by puppy love!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I NEVER get tired of having them curled up on laps or alongside while I am reading or watching TV, or their morning ritual whereby they have to come up and wag tails madly and try to lick my face as soon as they know I am actually awake. And I enjoy taking them on long walks off lead -- such a pleasure to watch them trot along, explore and play. Yes they are addictive. icon_thumbsup
    Karlin