Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Myasthenia Gravis?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you all!

Oh yes, it sounds very much like what he is going through! I have never heard of this, but am going to contact my vet(s) first thing in the morning. Meanwhile, Lester enjoyed his first taste of BARF diet today and then proceeded to bury some chunky leftover bone in my clean clothes hamper! Again, he is still a rowdy, little mischief maker who doesn't know he's "handicapped!" I will definately keep you posted!

By the way, how is this diagnosed? If not through blood, MRI (or other x-ray)...what should I ask the vet to do to rule out or diagnose this? I'll look more into this FOR SURE. It matches his symptoms to a T. But if anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate and again THANK YOU soooo much for all the wonderful information and resources!

Thanks again!

Jen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jan, I think they do a muscle biopsy. I would guess that would be under anaesthetic.

When you have a minute, check the links above, there is a LOT of information there.

Hopefully this is Lester's problem, it sounds like it is something that can be controlled and he can have a very good quality of life despite it.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, I'm so glad you have seen these posts and now hopefully have ended your search for WHAT is wrong (which is so frustrating when you can;t pin something down) and can move on towards treating it. My understanding from reading the above info is that it is diagnosed mainly by clinical signs. Why not send a PM or email to Donna as she has already gone through this with a dog? She too is in the US.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the crazy part...Donna and I have the same breeder!! Wow! Small world! Donna informed our breeder today and I also spoke with the breeder twice today. I'm going to move forward and try to find (or start) some professional or educational research on this matter. I think starting with tracking down the offenders in her stock is a great place. I believe she said she purchased some dogs from Ireland a while back, but it could really have come from anywhere. I think the first step is for the breeder to inform every person she sold a pup to and make damn sure those pups are ALL fixed and possibly try and find out if any others are affected. I think it is a strange coincidence that Donna and I found each other, but certainly seems meant to be! From what I have read over the past couple of days, as far as the levels of severity, Lester probably has it pretty bad, but again he is a scrappy little guy and just isn't having any part of being lame. I am confident he can live a VERY long time and have good quality of life. Treatment will certainly help if it gets unbearable, but again, he's indifferent to his problem and is unstoppable. There will certainly be expense, but hopefully we've got it diagnosed and can move on with treating it!

Thanks again and I'll keep everyone posted!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jen, I applaud your attitude for your little hero Lester.
    I have a ruby boy who suffers with this condition, although very mildly - he has only ever had four attacks in his life and he was eleven last January.
    He had his first when he was just four months old and we soon recognised it was stress/heat/exercise related. He is always conscious during an attack, but his eyes are 'staring', his limbs go rigid like steel rods. I just sit quietly reassuring him until it has passed, then he gets up and gets on with his life.
    If Lester's breeder doesn't already know, there is strong evidence that this is an hereditary condition.
    Best wishes,
    Ruth

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not alone. It has been a whole year. The more I read about this, the more I realize how bad Lester has this thing. He's a very brave boy. His legs go almost every day. I count it as a good day if he doesn't fall down. I'm starting to see that this is not a mild form of it. Was yours very active? Did it get worse over time?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jen, my boy suffers only mildly. Initially however we (including my vet) were totally stumped at what was happening, it was before this condition was well known about. Because of this Teddy has never had treatment, so maybe that is a plus for Lester that there is treatment available out there for him. Keep positive, try and eliminate any stress for him. I also watch Teddy never overdoes the exercise or become too heated.
    Thinking of you both.
    Best wishes,
    Ruth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeezmo
    I'm going to move forward and try to find (or start) some professional or educational research on this matter. I think starting with tracking down the offenders in her stock is a great place. I believe she said she purchased some dogs from Ireland a while back, but it could really have come from anywhere.
    You should contact this pathologist who was doing research on it. Having 2 affected dogs from the same lines is a great place to start research!

Here is a link to her website w/ her research on this a few years ago:
    http://medicine.ucsd.edu/vet_neuromu...001/jun01.html
    p.s. Lester is adorable!!!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How is Lester doing? Have you had the chance to get him in to see anybody; or try any medication?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jen
    I am so sorry to hear about your boy. I have already had contact with Donna and she did tell me she had found another affected one. Jacques Penderis, who is doing the research on EF, has recently moved to Glasgow University and at present I am waiting for a contact address from him. However is he working in conjunction with Dr Ned Patterson at the University of Minnesota, so it might be worth your while trying to contact him. They are working on a new drug but will only divulge the info to your veterinarian. Please take a look www.cavalierepisodicfalling.com
    I have been collecting data on this condition for nearly 30 years and I wonder if you might be able to supply me with a copyof your pedigree please. You can email me privately if you like.

Best of luck
    Barbara