• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poisonous Foods

Jen

Here is the list that I have from our Humane Society on what foods are dangerous and or poisonous to dogs:

Alcoholic beverages
Apple seeds
Apricot pits
Avocados—toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, and dairy goats
Cherry pits
Chocolate (baker's, semi-sweet, milk, dark)—poisonous to dogs, cats, and ferrets
Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
Hops (used in home beer brewing)
Macadamia nuts
Moldy foods
Mushroom plants
Mustard seeds
Onions and onion powder
Peach pits
Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
Raisins
Rhubarb leaves
Salt
Tea (caffeine)
Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
Walnuts
Yeast dough

Jen said:
Here is the list that I have from our Humane Society on what foods are dangerous and or poisonous to dogs:

Alcoholic beverages

Okay, you be the one to tell Jake he can't have a beer after dinner! :D

So glad bananas aren't on that list. As soon the kiddos finished their dinner they are spinning around the kitchen in anticipation of their banana!

Cathy

Bananas

Too funny! Abbey is the same, she loves bananas! She had a piece of seedless watermelon last night, then she barked at me for more!

Okay, you be the one to tell Jake he can't have a beer after dinner!

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for that list; very useful. Think I will add it in to the FAQs!

Jen said:
Avocados—toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, and dairy goats

Thank god not to dogs! My pups LOVE avocado!! :lol: But then again, they love everything....

I've actually seen a dog with macadamia nut toxicity! It was really weeird. We didn't know what as wrong with it (this was when I was working at a hospital). It couldn't walk. It was uncoordinated. It had just lost control of it's legs. I took it outside and he poo'd and there were these macadamia nuts in it... I mentioned it to the vet and she said it was probably inconsequential, but looked it up and sure enough! Macadamia nuts cause temporary paresis (not as bad as paralysis) of legs in dogs! Major problem in Hawaii, appparently, with dogs eating the nuts off the beaches. (?) There's nothing you can do except wait and they just get better on their own! But how scary...

Back