• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tripe

Nicki

Yes the stuff that comes out of the inside of cattle!!

Does anyone feed raw tripe? TeddyEdward was on a mixture of raw tripe, bran, small bite mixer and a small amount of Burns dry.

I haven't been able to obtain any tripe yet, so he's been on chicken, which he loves - also homemade mixer biscuit, as I won't give them anything which says "meat and animal derivatives" on the ingredients list!

He has the most stunning coat, as do all of the breeders dogs, and she put them on tripe after seeing other Cavaliers with stunning coats and finding out what they were fed on!

I was always a bit wary - what do you all think?

PS I won't be around to read your replies 'til I get back, but would be grateful for your thoughts!

I don't know a source of 'green' (raw) tripe -- I do know it is stinky!!

I DO buy the dried tripe and it is the doglets' single most favourite treat in the entire world. I like it as it is nice and natural and takes them a good while to chew it down. It too smells terrible though!! icon_yikes I always feel I need to disinfect my hands after touching it...

I don't know whether it is beneficial to coat etc; maybe others have more experience with it? I have heard breeders sing its praises.

One of the raw mixes I feed has tripe, trachea and organ meat. Cricket loves it. It really doesn't smell THAT bad. I also buy Crispers which are dehydrated tripe and that doesn't smell at all.

Dogs love tripe. I also keep a can of Tripett on hand in case I run out of food.

MPB said:
One of the raw mixes I feed has tripe, trachea and organ meat. Cricket loves it. It really doesn't smell THAT bad. I also buy Crispers which are dehydrated tripe and that doesn't smell at all.

Dogs love tripe. I also keep a can of Tripett on hand in case I run out of food.

I also give Jake and Shelby the crispers and they love them. I love that they aren't stinky :D

I don't know a source of 'green' (raw) tripe -- I do know it is stinky!!

Talk to Linda Karlin she buys it in for Basil....it looks white to me though and completly YUCK I am bias though being Veggie. I feed James Welbeloved food and my dogs do well on it.

Thanks TKC!

One of the raw mixes I feed has tripe, trachea and organ meat.

Ohhhhh, mmmmmmmmmmm!!! :lol: What we do for the dogs. I';m trying to imagine this on a restaurant menu. "Would you like a little more trachea with your potatoes, sir?"

Green tripe is prettyu stinky as it is the unbleached stuff and has the most vitamins and so on. The dried stuff is far less smelly but depends on the process I think -- some brands I've used are VERY smelly and some less so.

BTW I just discovered Aldi in Ireland sells that Irish brand of dried tripe and nice dog snacks (the sausages went down real well!!) at only euro2.59; it's something like a euro or so more at Tesco... icon_banana

I also feed Butchers tripe mix now and then, which looks decent as a canned food (I don't feed canned otherwise but we have few breands to choose from) it is 25% tripe and no additives or grains etc.

When I worked in kennels we used to get a whole paunch (tripe) from the abattoir (delivered to us thank goodness). We cooked it though in an old copper boiler and mixed it and the gravy with wholemeal biscuit.
All the dogs used to do very well on it, but gosh yes it stank!!!!

You couldn't get it like that now with all the feedstuff controls, but I remember some firm in the UK used to pack green tripe in blocks. Pets At Home used to stock it in their freezers, but I haven't seen that lately. I wonder if the Foot & Mouth outbreak had anything to do with it?

My bunch love dried tripe sticks, even the oldies manage to gum them for hours!!!

Perhaps an enquiry to the Pet Food Retailers Nicki.
Best wishes,
Ruth

I have had a look on the web and come up with
http://www.landywoods.co.uk/ but unfortunately they don't deliver to Scotland.
I have posted it as I was so impressed with the foodstuffs.
Apologies if I've broken any rules by pasting a link

Ruth

Back