• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kind of depressing...

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
According to feedback from the recent ACKCS Club show in the US, very few breeders or attendees went to leading UK researcher Clare Rusbridge's presentation on syringomyelia in the breed.

According to someone who did go:

"The SM seminar was well presented, not hugely well attended, and VERY disturbing."

What hope for this breed's health when the people producing the puppies are content to pretend the problem isn't happening. Ask anyone who has been in the breed for a while, and you will hear that this is a repeat of what happened with MVD. Except SM is far worse as treatment options are so few and so costly.

Just food for thought. I wouldn't even consider taking a puppy from any breeder not up front in discussing SM along with breed issues with MVD. As in, a breeder who does not go through this as a breed issue with a prospective buyer just as you would expect a good breeder to do regarding MVD -- without having to be prompted by the buyer.

Responsible breeders who care about this issue need to be supported so if you are looking for a cavalier please take this into consideration.

I agree wholeheartedly Karlin. The poor attendace of the Seminar was very disappointing, sometime soon they are going to have to wake up and smell the coffee.
Ruth

i'm new to dogs so what are these diseases/illnesses you two are talking about. I am in the market for a cavalier so i'm very interested...

There is some difference of opinion over how well attended the seminar actually was!

Someone I know went, and said that she thought the attendance was quite good, better than she'd expected.

I think she said that someone was quoting how many Cavalier entries there were, compared with the number of people attending the seminar, but many breeders/show people have multiple dogs entered, so this wasn't taken into consideration.

Not trying to excuse those who didn't attend, I wish everyone had, but sadly that will never happen, there's always those who hide their heads in the sand.

Asperite, so pleased you are researching into the health problems before buying a pup. Every pedigree - and many cross breeds too - have health problems, Cavalier lovers tend to be quite vocal and this can lead to people thinking that the breed is very unhealthy.

Yes we have some major issues, the latest being Syringomyelia, which is a horrid condition.

Hopefully you will be able to find a breeder who is doing everything possible to avoid the health problems. Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you, please keep us posted!

Asperite I too am glad that you are researching the halth issues before buying a pup. A good breeder won't mind you asking or telling you the truth about cav health issues. If they do mind or says that there's no need to worry because their dogs are all healthy then my advice would be to steer clear :?

When I had Maxxy (5 1/2 yrs ago) SM wasn't widely known about, but my 'breeder' she hates being called a breeder and prefers the term 'Cavlover and Mummy to many'! asked me what I knew about the health issues. I went through the list of things I knew and she said OK here's a few more, do some research then come back and tell me if you are still interested if you are I want to meet you and spend time with you before deciding whether I'll let you have a pup or not. (She alread knew of us as I used to babysit my late friends b&t's - the Mummy of them came from her best friend).

We obviously came up to scratch LOL and tbh she has always been there for me if I've been worried about anything - I just wish that there were more breeders like her out there. A few weeks after I got Maxx I got a phone call from a woman who said she'd heard I wanted a Cav and she had 3 litters I could pick from - the conversation I had with her was totally unbelieveable. She had 6 bitches and each of them had a litter a year icon_yikes she was disappointed with the latest litters though as there wasn't enough pups and she had to pay the bills somehow!

I told her a few home truths and told her that she shouldn't be allowed anywhere near dogs let alone be allowed to breed them grrrrrrrrrrrrrr - she still claimed to love Cavs though :shock:

Back