• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM study at North Carolina State Vet School

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Of possible interest to readers. As of today the link to the website listed does not work so I can't get any further information on this study:

North Carolina State Veterinary School Research into Syringohydromyelia - May, 2005

We are recruiting cases to take part in a study that will evaluate the dynamics of cerebrospinal fluid flow in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. This study will screen normal and affected CKCS using magnetic resonance imaging to identify the presence of occipital hypoplasia (also known as a Chiari Type I malformation) and syringohydromyelia. Specialized imaging sequences will be used to measure the flow of CSF in all dogs. Full details of the aims and methods of the proposed research will soon be available on a website accessed from http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/docs/natasha_olby.html

Inclusion criteria

1.Cavalier King Charles spaniels aged between 1 and 5 years.

2. Normal blood work (complete blood cell count and serum biochemistry panel) performed a maximum of one week prior to taking part in the study.

3. Neurologically normal dogs and dogs exhibiting signs suggestive of a Chiari I malformation will be studied. The investigators will therefore select which dogs take part to ensure the correct balance of affected and unaffected dogs is achieved.

4. Owners should be willing to provide a pedigree and agree to a blood sample being taken from their dog for DNA extraction. The pedigrees and DNA will be used for study on the genetics of Chiari I malformations. The identity of affected dogs will remain confidential outside the researchers involved: other breeders will not have access to any of this information from the research group.

If you are interested in this study, you can contact Dr Cerda-Gonzalez at [email protected]

Please provide concise answers to the following questions:

1. The age and sex of your dog

2. Details of any neurological symptoms (if any) present including scratching, wobbly gait, neck pain, and tremors.

3. Details of any family history of occipital hypoplasia/syringohydromyelia.

4. Details of any other health problems (for example, a heart murmur)

5. The best way and time to contact you

6. The availability of a pedigree

(Send any questions to Steve Wallis at [email protected].)

The study is part-funded by the ACKCSC Cahritable Trust.

Back