• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cider Vinegar

Nicki

Does anyone with entire male dogs give them cider vinegar?

I have been advised to try this, as it greatly reduces the smell of their urine icon_msnthinking Sorry not a pleasant topic!

I tried putting about 1 tsp in Teddy's food, but it wasn't really working, so I put it in the water bowl instead, and this seems to have worked. He does not have a very good aim, and tends to soak his feathering! so gets rather smelly icon_yuk

It's a bit difficult, as I administer their homoeopathy in the water bowl, and the vinegar will negate the homoeopathy. I've been putting the vinegar in the overnight bowl.

Is thsi the correct dosage rate for the vinegar?

Nicki I find this very interesting, especially having 3 elderly entire boys and all on diuretics!! I find the smell very strong.
Many years ago I was advised to give my female Rottie 1tbsp Cider Vinegar to help with her incontinence and that worked a treat. We put it in her food, but she was a greedy gubbins and so would still eat.
Sorry I can't help with the dosage, but that sounds ok to me.
Best wishes,
Ruth

Hi Ruth - hope it will help your boys. I'm trying 1/2 tsp, to see if that is enough - I've always been a bit wary of giving them vinegar, but having done a search on the Internet, it seems popular for all sorts of things!! They recommend it for arthritis, so it may help your Teddy too?

They recommend the Apple Cider Vinegar from the health food shop, so will try to get some of that this week.

Interesting about the incontinence, I didn't know that! Fillipa had mild incontinence, and she was on an homoeopathic remedy made from Propolin {evidently you shouldn't give Propolin if they have heart murmurs, as it can affect blood pressure} which was very effective.

It will be interesting to see if this helps Rupert - he has a very slight problem, just a few drops, I generally find stains on his paws, so am careful to wash them. How he manages to lie with his "willy" on his paws I really don't know!!! :oops: I keep the hair very short around his willy, so that it doesn't retain any drops.

I've started having Jake's skirt trimmed for that exact reason. When he lifts his leg he squirts his curtain!! If he squats like a girlie he squirts his front paws! Then when I try to brush him it's all sticky. Yuck. I have not had a problem with odor...is that because he's neutered?

Sorry you've got the same problem Cathy - these boys need to learn how to aim!!!

Rupert did the same thing when he was young, but I can't remember when he grew out of it...I don't think it was as late as 20 months though!

Yes the neutering does stop the smell...

I use a small fine mist bottle and spray the "anointed" feathering with that. then wipe with kitchen towel. Removes the stickiness! I also keep a special flannel in the bathroom, and often give Teddy a bit of a wash with that too!

Sorry, but I'm laughing here - I know I shouldn't but you've all just described my Maxxy to a tee!

He is a funny little man in that he rarely cocks his leg to do a wee but prefers to squat. He only cocks his leg on the lead and that is more to do with scent marking than needing a wee. I mean how many dogs need a wee every 20 paces?

He also gets his 'winkie' hair and his paws as well as his tummy covered in smelly wee wees - ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I buy the the I Can wipes from Tesco (they are hypoallergenic and made for toddlers LOL) and clean him up twice a day with these. I also keep his winkie hair trimmed and also his tummy fur. He sees his scissors coming now and huffs and puffs at me because he knows what's coming next LOL

Cider vinegar isn't like most other vinegars as in it's not as acidic and believe it or not it's good for loads of things - my OH used to take it for gout!

Thanks Donna - I think you know more about these things than me, so I'm glad you're in agreement with the apple cider vinegar.

Hubby is ROFLOL - he says we're either talking POO or talking WEE - these men just don't understand :lol: :lol:

Have you tried it for Maxx? It most definitely works for Teddy - but hasn't seem to help Rupert's slight problem. Not that we're that worried about it, it's not difficult to manage, but unusual I think for a boy? I suspect it may be tied in with his Syringomyelia.

Hi Nicki,

I haven't tried it for Maxx as he was castrated at just over six months. He had an undescended testicle that showed no signs of dropping. James said if Maxx was his baby he'd get it out as they can turn cancerous. I trust him implicitly and know he'd never operate un-necessarily so that was that. My poor furry baby had the chop and thus spoiling all of my plans of showing him and showing everyone else what a beautiful boy he was too :(

James said I should inform his 1st human mummy as she may not have wanted to use his Dad at stud again and when I did, she immediately offered to take him back. I was far too much in love with him though and there was no way he was going anywhere!

Maxx gets so smelly and filthy though (he's like a naughty human toddler LOL) that he has to be bathed just about every week anyway!

Hugssssssssssssssss

Donna & Maxxy :~)

Back