• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Colours

fuzzie bear

Just as a matter of interest, can any colours of cavaliers breed ?

When I was first looking for a cavalier, I wanted a blenhiem and a ruby. I couldn't find two in the same litter anywhere.

Is it standard not to breed the two colours ??

Some matings will produce both these colours in one litter but there's never any guarantee. I have found it really hard to find wholecolours in Ireland even though is seems half the dogs in my area are rubies!!

Here's a section of this site that offers a link to tables of which crossings can produce which colours in a litter:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65

BTW I hear there's a new little man in your life!! ;) Is it true you have the little tri? icon_banana

Is there a reason why sometimes the colours of ruby's and black and tans have white ?

I have a black and tan and she has white on her chest. Shes the most healthiest cavalier I've ever had and at 8 years old, shes never been sick.

Also, my new ruby has white on her nose.

Is this down to bad breeding of colours ??

Of course, we don't care as we love them anyway.... just curious....

White is common, but considered mis-marking. I am sure someone else with more knowledge might jump in here but what I understand from breeder discussions on this that I've read, the white appears because of somewhere in the line, there are parti-colours (blenheims or tris) -- perhaps even a parent. Sometimes a bit of white comes through in a breeding. In general a wholecolour show dog would be preferred to have no white or very little white (see Nicki's pic of the gorgeous Teddy Edward!). But colour mismarkings are in general not held much against a dog that is excellent in other ways. Many champion wholecolours are mismarked with some white. I don't know a lot about showing but I think marking is possibly the least important aspect a judge considers -- or maybe that most judges consider.

I am REALLY interested in a blenheim i dont' know why but i am loving the brown and white!! Karlin may i ask where did you get Jaspar?

I'd love a blenheim too - there are about six in our neighbourhood and then there's Maxx and Charlie who lives up the road, they are both tri's and their markings are almost identical - they could almost be brothers LOL

Amazing really, I had such a job to even find a cavalier yet I heard on the radio the other day that there were more Cavaliers registered than any other dog last year!

I've had all four colours over the years and blenheim will always be my first love. However, I do find that the characters in the wholecolours differ alot from the particolours. My biggest character over all the years I've had Cavaliers, is my present ruby boy Teddy. He has had so many health problems and yet still this character has shone through. He's a follower not a leader, but has such funny ways and looks that he melts your heart.
Although badly arthritic and sometimes only able to use three legs, he still manages to drop his ball at your feet and look for me to throw it'!
I admire him tremendously, he is such a stoical little chap.
The black and tans have big characters too, although I've only ever owned a quiet, cowed rescue girl. Once she was secure though she let her hair down occasionally.
Warm wishes,
Ruth

Back