• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

rough night

Cathy T

Jake had a couple of poopy blow outs yesterday and it escalated last night. He went in his crate about 9:00 and woke me up at midnight. I've been up with him ever since. About every 1 1/2 hours he would go out and just squirt. Poor baby was very gassy and the sound coming from his behind would startle him so he would step in what he had just done About 5:00 this a.m. he started looking unsteady on his feet. I'm sure not what is going on. I took him to the vet's office this a.m. at 7:30 and they are going to keep him until the vet gets a chance to look at him. The lameness really has me worried. A couple of times I touched him to move him and he yelped. Then when I put him on the floor he would stand and look at me not wanting to walk. He kept holding up his right front paw and I checked it out but can't see anything (other than poop!) and it doesn't seem to be tender. He is also having some stiffness in his back legs.

I'm scared!!! The vet tech was not overly anxious so I feel okay there. And she was able to walk him back (with him looking over his shoulder barking like crazy at me) to the office. Broke my frigging heart!!

Hope to hear something before too long and will let you know. Cross your fingers that it's nothing and he's just exhausted.

PS If you check the "other" board you will see this same message. Just curious about any input anyone might have.

Oh Cathy so sorry to hear about poor Jake - sounds like you've had an awful night.

I do hope that the lameness is just due to his general discomfort from his tummy, and nothing else - has he shown any other signs before last night?

Rupert "asks" for things by raising his right paw - does Jake do that normally? Maybe he was just asking for help?

Has he eaten anything unusual?

I hope that it's just a bug and that you will have some good news soon - please keep us posted.

Sending positive, healing thoughts, strength, love and lots of hugs for you all

You've given me a couple of things to think about. Yes, he raises his right paw when he wants something. I am hoping the difficulty walking is just a gassy tummy (I know how it feels!). The only thing different food wise was a pretty good amount of treats yesterday while taking his picture. I am hoping that was it (kind of like when I eat 5 brownies instead of 1!). Shelby is fine but then she tends to be a bit more resilient. We did a couple of out of the ordinary things over the long weekend (beach on Sunday..their 2nd time there, and a couple of dog buddies visited on Monday) so I am kind of hoping it's just a release from the disruption of his normal, very sedate lifestyle! Am on pins and needles and will post when I hear something. The house feels so empty without him here! :cry:

Lots more hugs for you Cathy - I know you must be frantic, and the house feels so empty without them.

Sounds like maybe he's overdone it - I know that sets my tummy off, and yes it can be very uncomfortable - sometimes I'm bent over and it's difficult to walk {guess we've all been there}.

Could Jake have picked up something on the beach? Rupert used to slurp up jelly fish - icon_yikes which upset him a bit. He got used to the crab claws etc, and they were fine after a while!!

Was he passing blood from either end? {HGE?}

Will keep checking in to see if there is anymore news.

On my way to pick up the boy. All test results came back negative. She feels the stiff walking was due to soreness in his tummy. I'll put him on canned EN for 3 days and then work his regular food back in. The best news is that his x-rays came back clear. We both agreed that in the very back of our minds was ... cancer, had it come back? No, he is clean. He was dehydrated and she said he has perked up since the fluids. I was reassured that I did the right thing in bringing him in. My vet is so good. She gave me a little talk about how well I know my boy and that if I feel I need to bring him in, go ahead and bring him in. Better safe than sorry. Needless to say we should all sleep very well tonight.

Thanks again all

Cathy

Best wishes to you. I am so happy he's better. Similar to my own scare with Snuggles. The house was so empty without him too! Neither my husband or I could sleep as Snuggles (My husband named him appropriately) sleeps on our pillows between our heads. There was such an emptiness.........
I hope this is the last for you and your baby. Keep us posted.

Cathy, so pleased to hear that Jake is on the mend, its just the pits when they are ill. Hope you both slept well last night. :)

Take care

We all had a nice restful night. Jake was up about an hour earlier than usual but not due to tummy problems. He just wanted attention and I was more than happy to give it to him! He's a bit sleep this morning so we'l just take it easy for the next couple of days.

Oh that's great news Cathy - have been thinking {and worrying :( } about you both - yes the cancer was in the back of my mind too. It's fantastic that he's clear icon_banana

Glad you had some sleep and that Jake was wanting cuddles this morning - that's a good sign. icon_heartthrob

maybe just let him take it very easy for a few days, and keep him on his light diet so that his tummy has time to settle.

Glad to hear your guy is better. I think they are like us...if we get too off schedule and eat different or too much stuff we feel rotten! Enjoy a restful weekend!

Oh Cathy I missed all this; have been abroad for work for a few days. I am so glad he is getting back to normal. How scary! Jaspar too lifts one leg BTW when he wants something or is interested in something. Once or twice Jaspar has had bad diarrhea and he makes it clear how uncomfortable he is but he's not had anything that sounded as bad as this and I'd have not hestitated to do what you did; get him to the vets; you just never know. I've given a bit of pepto bismol and that has always helped. I'd guess he might have eaten something that really upset him; maybe something along the beach. Or something with a bug in it.

K.

All is back to normal. The diarrhea didn't have me upset. I'm kind of used to it with him and I knew there had been some disruptions to his routine, so I wasn't surprised. I wouldn't have done anything had the lameness not happened. He was in obvious discomfort and really had me scared. He laid on the bed with his bed on my shoulder (normally he lays at the end of the bed and doesn't want to be cuddled). I pretty much lost it when I put him on the floor and he wouldn't (or couldn't) move, but just stood there looking at me with these big eyes that just looked so confused.

Well, $500 later (blood panels, x-rays, fluids, antibiotics and a full day at the vet's office) it's just a bug. This morning's poops were almost back to normal. I think the biggest thing is the cancer always in the back of my mind. Better safe than sorry and soooo glad we have insurance!!

Back