Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boys and Girls

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boys and Girls

Just by looking at a cavaliers face, do you think you could tell if they were a boy or if they were a girl ??
    www.pet-bliss.com for pet products
    www.poshpaws.ie Designer Pet Products
    www.gift-ireland.com voluntary group raising money for rescues

Post Thanks / Like

Normally not. However, I have frequently been told that Shelby looks like a girl.

Maybe the pink bandanas have something to do with it!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I think you can definitely tell usually - especially if the males are allowed to mature naturally until they're 1.5 to 2 years old before neutering. Then they get nice big heads vs the girls who have smaller, more petite and feminine heads.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

I neutered Quinlan at 10 months against the suggestion of his breeder to wait longer. I didn't realize how much the heads of males changed as they aged, so with my next male cav I will probably wait longer, though I think Quin's little petite head is cute. People ALWAYS think he is a girl, and I don't know if it's because of his petite head or just because he's kind of a fluffy cute dog and people just assume that dogs of his type will be girls. A couple weeks ago a woman stopped me while walking him and said to me, "Oh my gosh, look at that beautiful little feminine dog! She looks like a little princess that should be carried around on pink silk pillows! How adorable!"....I didn't have the heart to point out that he was a boy. My poor little boy. I really wanted to get him a cute rhinestone collar or something, but my boyfriend said that since people already think that he is a girl, it will only confuse them more!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Girls or Boys

For the most part, I think you can tell. People seem to know Abbey is a girl, she's never been called a boy...yet anyway!!
    Sorry the photo is so big, I'm having trouble re-sizing it.

Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

I think Rory's mom is right as far as size. Jake is such a bruiser compared to Shelby that I think people automatically assume that she must be a female!! Although I surely can't say she is petite!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Actually I think these are dogs that have quite puppyish faces anyway and to most people unfamiliar with the breed, they all look like girls. Nearly everyone guesses that mine are both girls except people really familiar with cavaliers. A breeder has said that it takes up to three-four years before male heads start to look more male as well, so maybe that's partly it as mine are both under 2 still.

I know a male ruby show dog and to me, his head isn't much different from Jaspar and Leo's (he's intact of course). Some males get a very jowly look but others don't seem to.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh - non-Cav people always think Rory is a girl. and people say it's because he's a small, fluffy dog. They just think "girly". And he does have a rather large, masculine head.

But, I was speaking more of Cav owners who can see the difference. Especially if you have more than 1 side-by-side.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby and Abbey both look like gorgeous girlies I think my Maxxy looks like a boy but I can't find out how to post a piccie on here grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Girls are usually daintier than the boys. Most of the boys I've met are 'bruisers' and typical boys whereas the girlies are more inclined to just want to be pampered LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have a look here Donna re posting photos, but if you're still stuck, please PM me and I'll try to help

http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49

I think most people with an interest in Cavaliers can tell boys from girls, once they're over about a year, especially seeing them in person - it can be harder from a photo though.

Rupert and TedBear definitely have "male" heads, although non-Cavalier people have accused Rupert of being a girl - i think you're right, they just assume that small, cute, fluffy dogs are female

Shelby and Abbey are just beautiful, and vey obviously female - I think my Peaches has very feminine features too

and she is usually recognised as a girlie!!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org