• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

tri rescue boy

karlin said:
On top of it all just got a call that a 12 year old female cav has been surrendered to the pound meaning she has at most 24 hrs, she is totally fit and healthy just someone looking for a free way to pts their dog... :x icon_crying

Think she is getting sorted; I posted to our animal welfare board and a UK group that rehomes oldies has said they'll take her, so now just need a foster. I might end up with her in the house too as a result, hopefully not for longer than 24 hours!! Boy I need a house with a yard and a third bedroom... I'll go get her on my bicycle tomorrow if needed.

Sorry I'd missed this - is she ok? Why on earth were they dumping her to have her PTS if she's well icon_yikes icon_furious

Ricky is safely off to his new life... icon_banana Thanks to TKC on the board who helped enormously with him.

The 12 yr old turns out to be a male and almost didn't get out due to a situation that made me really angry but which should all be sorted now. I am still waiting confirmation that he *is* out by the person who was to transport him this afternoon, but he has the offer of a wonderful home in the UK with a retired vet nurse who has taken on previous older dogs.

Yes Nicki apparently the owners decided to get rid of him and another dog and at his age, except for rescue groups intervening, he would be pts by now. Can you imagine doing that to a 12 year old healthy cavalier -- I feel cavalier oldies should be revered for their longevity as the Japanese revere the elderly! I SO wish mine will see 12..

karlin said:
Can you imagine doing that to a 12 year old healthy cavalier -- I feel cavalier oldies should be revered for their longevity as the Japanese revere the elderly! I SO wish mine will see 12..

Right on Karlin!! Couldn't agree with you more. Should either of mine live to 12 they will live like royaly. Like they don't already! :? I would be incredibly grateful should either of mine live that long...and be healthy! What a true blessing.

karlin said:
Ricky is safely off to his new life... icon_banana Thanks to TKC on the board who helped enormously with him.

That's fantastic news, well done Karlin and TKC icon_banana :D

karlin said:
The 12 yr old turns out to be a male and almost didn't get out due to a situation that made me really angry but which should all be sorted now. I am still waiting confirmation that he *is* out by the person who was to transport him this afternoon, but he has the offer of a wonderful home in the UK with a retired vet nurse who has taken on previous older dogs.

Oh this sounds a nightmare, I really hope the little guy is ok - please keep us posted. I know you've done everything you can, it's so hard and frustrating when it's out of your control.

karlin said:
Yes Nicki apparently the owners decided to get rid of him and another dog and at his age, except for rescue groups intervening, he would be pts by now. Can you imagine doing that to a 12 year old healthy cavalier -- I feel cavalier oldies should be revered for their longevity as the Japanese revere the elderly! I SO wish mine will see 12..

icon_yikes icon_crying

I will be over the moon if mine get to 12 - they were SO lucky to have a healthy Cavalier, these people just made me so mad icon_angry

Oh sheesh I am in tears here just thinking how anyone can just dump a 12yr old baby :cry:

I have printed off pics of Ricky and also of the two little angels that Mary posted about on Yahoo site. I just plonked myself down by hubby and said 'Which one shall we have then - or shall we have them all?'

He in response, furrowed his brow at me and said 'Hmmmmmmm, I don't know because we'll probably end up having the same problems all over again the we had with Holly :cry: '

He just won't listen to me that it was a one off and bad luck that Holly kept attacking Maxx. Maxx loves ALL other Cavaliers and most other dogs too. Will get the youngest working on him when he gets home....

Update.... I think he's wearing down - Karlin, where is Ricky going to be in UK?

I really, really, really want to bring all these babies here and love them as they should be loved. I have the whole summer home from college now too & if I do go back in September it is only part time, a few hrs a day 2 or 3 days a week and the rest is done at home - ideal!!!!

Maxxs_Mummy said:
He just won't listen to me that it was a one off and bad luck that Holly kept attacking Maxx. Maxx loves ALL other Cavaliers and most other dogs too. Will get the youngest working on him when he gets home....

Jake and Shelby got along wonderfully from the very start. He wasn't wild about her because she was so active but he was never harmful to her. Within a couple of weeks he had accepted that he now had a shadow. Your incident with Holly was definitely out of the norm. How wonderful for you to have the whole summer to get Maxx familiar with a new friend. Tell your hubby I vote YES!!

By the way, how old is Maxx? I'm sure you've said...I've just forgotten.

I just got word that the 12 year old fellow is out and into foster. His name is Dino and here's a picture of him -- apparently he is still intact and rather well endowed! :lol:

23360143_9512ba807f.jpg

The fosterer says he is very agile for his age and is particularly interested in getting into laps or onto sofas. Therefore he is definitely a cavalier... :lol:

Donna I'm not sure where Ricky went geographically in the UK-- to a rescue that works closely with TKC -- all their dogs are kept indoors and not in kennels, and homes are very carefully vetted. They always have many offers of homes for cavaliers and take time to assess each dog and its needs. I had a long talk with one of the women there this morning as they wanted as much background as I could provide on Ricky. He's been a bit anxious, understandbly as he has been in four homes in a week and then had a ferry voyage. However now he is getting planty of love and attention; he's off to the groomers for a proper bath and to get some mats taken out (the ones I didn't get to, I did his ears and gave him a good brushing but Fiona at the rescue says his coat looks like he'd been kept as an outdoor dog).

He'd clearly never been allowed on sofas or beds as he wouldn;t even try to get up on them with my fellows while at my place and Fiona remarked that she found this *very unusual* in a cavalier :) so I hope now he will learn how comfy a sofa and soft dog beds can be.

Thank goodness that Dino is safe, Karlin. He looks amazing for 12, hasn't lost his colouring at all :) Obviously 100% Cavalier too :)

Unless there are good reasons to neuter, then I don't think it's such a big issue with male Cavaliers {obviously only if they're in responsible homes so they are not going to be breeding}. If they do develop testicular cancer, then it is not the type of cancer that spreads - they can be neutered at that point.

I guess in rescue it's usual for all dogs to be neutered though - and also in the USA it seems to be done as a matter of course.

Glad that Ricky is ok too - I bet you're missing him! TedBear didn't jump up onto furniture to start with - as he'd been kept outside - but he learnt very quickly :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry but I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can keep Cavaliers outside!

Maxx knew how to jump on the sofa before we got him at 13 weeks LOL - he now thinks that anywhere he parks his bum is his! Saying that, since he's been poorly he tends to lie on the floor right next to me :cry:

We do pick him up and put him on the sofa or the beds though, suppose we're a bad, bad family ;)

Karlin, I thought Ricky had actually gone to a new home, not a rescue. I hope he finds his forever home soon, I am having a terrible job convincing my hubby that me and Maxx really do need more paws running around!

Poor Dino too, I can't imagine anyone wanting to get rid of a 12yr old - I will be so glad if Maxx gets to 12. Dino looks a gorgeous old man, lets hope he soon finds a new mummy and/or daddy to take him home and spoil him rotten in his latter years.

Wow, I wasjust reading through this thread. Karlin, what wonderful work you do and how satisfying it must be!
I was also feeling grateful that I have no hubby to consult(LOL) and can have as many dogs as I want!

Ricky went to a rescue but there were already 5 homes already approved, wanting him. They will not place a dog until they have had a chance to assess him or her themselves hence they would not send any dog straight to a new home. They wanted a full background on the dog or as much as I could provide hence the long call to the UK. :) I am sure he is in his new home by now.

I think for Dino the concern was more from the woman who was first to foster him; she has two unspayed bitches (cavaliers) and wouldn't take him 'til he was nuetered' but of course there was no intention of neutering the old man so he went into foster elsewhere. He has to get his vax and wait for that to take hold before he can be sent to his new home in the UK.

Another blenheim boy looking for a home as well but I am out in California and not helping with this one!

Lindee said:
I was also feeling grateful that I have no hubby to consult(LOL) and can have as many dogs as I want!

LOL Lindee, they're not all bad you know - they come in handy for DIY and stuff :lol:

I will win my battle for another baby though - and he knows it ;)

Back