• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Activity

Evan

Hey can anyone tell me if Cavalier are active pets like would they be interested in fetching a thrown ball or are the mainly laid back?

As i'm in the market for one i'm trying to get allpossible information!!

:D

If you would throw a ball for two hours...Jake would chase and retrieve for two hours!! And when he cuddles...boy does he cuddle!

My Mom can play with Audrey forever throwing the ball!!! Audrey goes on and on. After two grandsons my mom has the tolerance! I can go for about 5-10 minutes but Audrey would go on for 1/2 an hour if we stuck with it!!!!

Maxx isn't very well but still loves to play fetch. They are such intelligent little babies that he actually taught us what he wanted us to do. We thought he might have been too young and that we were throwing too much training at him at the time!

Evan, can I politely request that you don't say 'in the market for one'? It makes me think of puppy farms etc.

Why not give one of the delightful rescue babies a chance?

Evan, the wonderful thing about Cavaliers is that they are so adaptable.

I know of some that walk about 10 miles every day {although I think that's rather a lot}, some only get to play in the garden :( .

It's good for them to have at least one walk every day, it gives them stimulation as well as exercise, with a young, healthy Cavalier, about 2 to 4 miles a day is good. If possible with some free running, as long as it's safe and they are good at coming back to you {treats usually help here :D }

Obviously regular exercise is more important - and better for them, than infrequent very long walks.

As you will see from other threads, some even like to swim. It's a good idea to train them to wait for a command to enter the water, so you can make sure it's safe.

It's great to play with them, throwing safe retrieve toys - NOT sticks, they can be dangerous - also they usually enjoy hide and seek games, with you or searching for hidden toys or food. They love food dispensing toys such as the BUster cube.

If you've feeling very adventurous you could build a sandbox to hide toys/biscuits in, but cover it at night if you have local cats.

Many Cavaliers do well at agility, ours loved this, it's great for their confidence and brilliant fun for you and them. They also do well at obedience, because they are eager to please you.

Obviously many also do well in the show ring.

Some Cavaliers are working as assistance dogs - for deaf people and even for disabled people. They also really enjoy PAT work - visiting people in hospital and care homes.

Don't get the idea that they are hyper like Springers though, once they've had their exercise and stimulation they are happy to settle down, preferably cuddled up to someone {Human or canine!}.

They do like to be involved in whatever you are doing - and don't really like being left for too long, they need company.

Hope this helps - please ask away, we want you to be sure this is the perfect breed for you {Cavaliers are very special and their guardians should be too :D }

Thanks for that comment Maxxs_Mummy i apologise and you are absolutely right :) But Maxx_mummy, rescue Cavalier dogs are hard to find so we were thinking of finding a breeder as a woman down the road from me has one and he's adorable!

Nicki thanks for all that information it's very helpful. It makes me want to get one even more!!

Oh there's no need to apologise! I wasn't being horrible or anything but puppy farming is really upsetting :cry:

Have you spoken to Karlin? She had a little Rescue boy last week and she seems to collect them :shock:

There are two little girls at Many Tears Rescue in Wales and I'm trying to talk my hubby into letting me have one. So far he is resisiting but it's only time.......

Good luck with your puppy hunt and if it is a puppy that you want then do yourself and the puppy a favour....

1) Ask to see both the parents (or at least the mother).
2) Make sure that the parents have been MVD checked (and by more than the local vet).
3) Ask if they have clear eye scores good hip scores and also if any of the parents or relatives suffer from luxating patellas.
4) Also ask if they have their dogs or puppies MRI scanned for Syringomyelia.

Cavaliers suffer from so many health problems and can cost loads of money in vet bills so imho, insurance is a must!

All in all, good luck. They are the most wonderful, precious little pets that anyone could possibly be owned by :D

one of the reasons my mother isn't too keen about one is because of all their health problems and as it is our first dog we don't know much about them :lol:

Well, you're definitely in the right place here - we can help you all you want :D

Any questions? Ask away :D We all had to start somewhere.

A good idea is to buy a book (or borrow from the library) or six on CKCS. Saying that, the more pics of them I see, the more of them I want.

One point with a Cav Evan is that you never own them - they own you! They are extremely fickle and anyone with food is their bestest ever friend in the whole wide world :D

Of course, I have never called Maxx in from the garden by saying 'bonio's' and then played innocent when he's refused the lump of carrot on offer icon_whistling

Evan - you definitely have to do your research on this breed before you choose it (or it chooses you!). There are several very serious health issues which is why you need to use a lot of caution and question breeders. A responsible and concerned breeder will question you as much as you question them. That said...my Jake at 2 years old had squamous cell carcinoma and had to have his upper left jawbone removed and my Shelby at 1 year old had to have knee surgery...and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I will ALWAYS own a cavalier...or two! I was very careful in my research of the breed and you can see I ended up with health issues. Bottom line...this breed is just wonderful.

Sorry Cathy, but don't you mean 'A Cavalier or two will always own you? ' ;)

These little dogs are sooooooooooooo adorable and have such wonderful personalities that I can bypass any other dog in the street except a Cavalier :D

Back