• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Choosing a name

I agree with Karlin that changing the name is not a big deal for dogs. We can't anthropomorphize them and think they know it's a "name" in the same sense that we hold identity with our name. It is, like Karlin said, a command/word that indicates that you want their attention or that they are going to be getting attention from you.

So many dogs have multiple name changes in life (think of all the strays at the shelter who are given a new name when they come in) and adjust perfectly. :)

looking-for-a-friend said:
hi Nikki,

I'm starting to like the name Teddy!!! ;)

It's such an appropriate name for a Cavalier, they are real cuddle monsters so are true TeddyBears.

Teddy is often shortened to TedBear - which he answers too!

I do agree about changing names - they seem to learn very quickly as long as it's associated with something nice, like food or a cuddle.

TedBear was Freddie, which we didn't particularly like. We called him FreddieTeddy or TeddyFreddie for the first 24 hours, and after that he responded just to Teddy!

I also call Maxx Maxxiemoos and he will also respond when i call him Moo LOL

Very often if I am looking for him I say Mooooooooooooooo where are you? He'll come trotting out from wherever he was sleeping LOL

The kids call him 'fatpig' and he responds to that too - dogs aren't stupid, they know when someone loves them and is going to give them attention LOL

Heather, it sounds like Teddy is going to be the name of choice then :D We're honoured icon_banana

Oh dear if this is turning into a discussion about what they are also called as well as their names, I'm going to have to confess...

Rupert was always known as Rupert Poopert Puppy Dog, revised to The Poopster since he's become a veteran :lol:

Needless to say, TedBear is now known as The Tedster :D

Peaches is Peachy-Flops, Floppity Floozle, The Floppet...

:oops:

Somehow Shelby became snickerdoodle or pumpkin. Sometimes...Miss Pudge!

Jake is just the Jakester.

my daughter just asked me if we could call the pup Ty, after the nice man on "extreme makeover, home edition" ....

So much for cutting down the names, the possibilities are growing :lol:

We used to have a GSD called Teddy (a girl!) - my oldest who was about 3 when we got her said she looked like a Teddy bear and the name stuck. She went on to become his own personal teddy bear and protector & even let my youngest cut his 1st tooth on her ear :shock:

Sadly, we lost her suddenly at a very young age but I often wonder what she would have made of Maxx, I think she'd have adored him - she wanted to mother every animal & child she ever met :lol:

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I love the name Harry - and his arrival will be just after the release of the new Harry Potter book.....

my friend said last night that i now need to complete the set....

a ruby called Ron.... :lol:
a Blenheim called Hermione
and a B/T called Draco or Albus....

icon_whistling... no plans to do this tho... icon_whistling

Hahaha I want a black and tan called Snape (only because i fancy Alan Rickman something rotten!). And yes, I also fancy a Blenheim called Harry ;)

Back