Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peaches - MVD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Update...

Peaches wasn't so great over the weekend, but it was SO hot, and I don't think that helped.

She was SO good today, they managed to give her an ECG and X ray her chest without even giving her a sedative!! She just lay there as good as gold!! Actually if you rub her tummy she will lay there for ages...

She was really pleased to see us when we picked her up...

BUT the cardiologist needs to review everything, so the vet doesn't want to talk about it until he hears back from the cardiologist, which will probably be Thursday or Friday.

I'm a bit concerned that he wouldn't say anything, wouldn't even grade it or tell me what was on the X-ray although I do understand what he's saying, he doesn't want to commit to anything without knowing all the facts.

The cardiologist is in London. The nearest one to here is Edinburgh, over 200 miles away so it would be very difficult to take her there - about 5 hours each way.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki I have only just caught up with your post about peaches MVD.
    I do hope you hear good news on Thursday it must be such a worry for you.

Thinking of you and especially peaches.
    Julie M

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the good thing is that they are doing an investigation so they will have a much clearer picture about what is going on with P Peaches. How long before you hear the results?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Nicki, I'm so sorry to hear Peaches hasn't had a good weekend :cry: Saying that, don't you find the hot weather affects you? It does me !

Bless the little love lying there as good as gold - Maxx would have been doing the 'fuss me, fuss me' dance all round the surgery!

The waiting is the worst but try not to worry too much - easier said than done I know :cry: We are still waiting for the MRI results and apparentlt they should be back on Thursday too. Alison and I have both had stern words with GWR over the phone

Big hugs to you and the doglets (gentle big hugs for Perfect Peaches) & Maxx sends licky kisses.
    XX

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that - sorry you're still waiting for the MRI results too - that's a bit naughty.

Sounds like the end of the week will be D-Day for us both

I'm not good in the heat either, so I know how she feels!! Yesterday the boys didn't get a walk until nearly 8.30 pm, and I actually went out in shorts it was so warm still!! Shocked all the neighbours! It's unusual for it to be so hot here, it was over 28 C in Inverness by 11am, so I dread to think what it went up to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Finally have the results from the vet - it's not horrendous, but not good news either.

Peaches' heart is noticeably enlarged on the left side - indicative of MVD - her pulse rate is rather elevated at 160 -170, we should be aiming for 140.

The conclusion from the ECG and X-rays is that she is suffering from MVD, that there are already siginificant changes so she is starting on Vetmedin {ACE inhibitor} and Frusemide {diuretic} immediately. The vet is going to check her pulse in a couple of weeks, hoping that it will have lowered, and she's going to have an further x-ray in 6 months.

The medication helps to support the heart and make her more comfortable, but MVD is not a curable condition.

Our vet does not like giving grades, as it is known that thay are not necessarily indicative of the severity of the problem - clinical signs are a more reliable indicator. I am aware of some dogs graded at a 6 {that being the most severe} not showing any clinical signs at all!

With her family history it's hard to be positive, although the female side are/were very good for hearts, her sire and grand sire developed murmurs at 8 which progressed rapidly and they both died at 9. :cry:

Peaches was originally diagnosed with a low grade murmur 19 months ago, but it seems to have deteriorated rapidly following her surgery in March, I understand that the shock of the anaesthetic can cause this.

I will of course keep you posted as to how she is doing.

Unfortunately it couldn't have happened at a worse time, we have been packing up everything as major renovation work is due to commence on the cottage next week - we are moving into a caravan in the garden Hope to be able to keep an Internet link...

My apologies though for not being around very much - thinking of you and sending hugs for the little ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki - so sorry you didn't get better news about Peaches. What a little love she is! Please know I am thinking about you and hoping for the best.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Nicki, I'm so sorry. I will try and ring you on Monday if that's OK. I've been thinking about you and little Peaches but have had a nightmare few days. I'll email and explain a little more in a minute though - so you might read that before you read this hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you Nicki after your news about peaches.

Good luck with your renovation work to the cottage next week. I thought what we are doing is bad enough but at least we haven't had to move out!
    Julie M

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.