• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm new & may be a Cav mommy by Saturday

Lindee

Hi everyone..what a nice site! Karlin invited me to join when I was posting on another list recently. I have been trying to adopt/rescue a Cavalier for many months after falling in love with the breed within the last year. I'm a single Mommy to one little girl, am a teacher and I do have a house with a nice fenced backyard. Finances have been tight, though and I've been trying to find an "affordable" Cavalier which as I'm sure many of you know is not easy-LOL
Anyway...the short version...one of the rescues I contacted forwarded a letter from a young woman in NYC...she has a 9 month old tri male..she has to relocate..can't keep him..he's been in an apartment....is probably used to being walked and she describes him as being "paper trained". He is very handsome and was actually imported from Ireland where this girl's relatives breed the dogs. I was wondering what you folks thought of that and are there the same risks with genetic disorders with dogs from overseas as with dogs from here? He was shipped here as a small pup-she says he's in very good health and has already been neutered. She is bringing him here (about 2.5 hours away) to meet my daughter and me on Saturday. We might end up keeping him that day. Please feel free to e-mail me off-list if you have any light to shed on Cavs from Ireland or on training from paper to crate. I will be home all summer which is good.
Thanks and I look forward to "chatting" and bragging should I become a CavMom.

I'm going to leave answering your questions about dogs from Ireland up to Karlin as she knows so much more about this than me.

But, I will welcome you the board :)

This is a very friendly board with lots of good information.

Keep us posted.

Oh thanks for the welcome!Yes, Karlin was very nice to me on another list. I saved her e-mail from months ago as well as the address for this site.

Welcome!!! I hope it works out! He sounds adorable. :)

There are definitely some nice Cavs in Ireland, but there are also a lot of puppy mills there, which Karlin knows a lot more about. Does she have the dog registered? Do you know what his registered name is? that can be used to check his pedigree and see if he comes from good lines or a puppy mill. My dog's dad is from a very good breeder in Ireland. Either way, I"m sure you'll fall in love. :)

I just saw 2 pairs of Cavs in CT and NY that are looking to be homed together if this little guy doesn't work out. ( http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4731372 , http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4719263 )

But yes - they defiintely do have the same health problems overseas as they have in the US.

Good luck and let us know what happens!! :D

Yes, leave it to Karlin. She's the one to advise about Irish dogs.

Good luck with your search and also if you decide to keep the little man. I couldn't imagine life without a Cavalier now, they are such addictive little furpeople :lol:

Yes, they come with health problems (so unless you can afford enormous medical bills then for goodness sakes get insurance - the best you can afford). My Vet bills for Maxx so far this year are in excess of £2K :shock: - thankfully his insurance will pay up to £5K :) BUT they are so loving, kind, faithful and adorable that all of this outweighs everything else :D

Good luck and hope you soon find the right baby for you and your daughter :D

Thanks guys..yeah, I saw those dogs on petfinder, too....I really can only do one dog right now, though. Thanks. I have been checking Cavaliers of the Northeast site and Lucky Star faithfully. I actually got a phone interview from Lucky Star the other day-I was surprised. They are going to set up a home visit should this dog not be the one.

icon_welcome Lindee to the board.

I hope you soon get your long awaited cavie. They certainly are worth the wait and soon become part of the family.

Let us know how you get on and send us lot's of pics soon.

Lucky Star will be getting 25-26 Cavs in the next few weeks (as you probably saw on their website), so if this little boy doesn't work out, I'm sure there will be one for you there!!

Can't wait to hear what happens tomorrow!!!!

Lindee, welcome to the board. We really hope you manage to find a Cavalier to join your family.

They are usually lovely with children, but do need a lot of attention and don't really like being left for long periods - they like to be involved in whatever you are doing.

There are several ways of looking at the situation for the young Tri.

Simply, whatever his background, the wee fellow is looking for a loving, forever home.

However there is a huge problem with puppy farming, in many countries, including Ireland. I would want to be pretty sure that the girl isn't just going to import another pup.

Is there a reason that she's bringing him to you rather than you go to her? That seems slightly suspicious to me.

If he's paper trained it should be fairly easy to retrain him - I am a big fan of crates, as long as they are used properly.

Good luck with your search, and keep us posted

Wow, thanks everyone! This girl truly seems to want to see my house and meet my daughter. I'm pretty sure she just wants to make sure she places the dog in a good home. Her original letter which was forwarded to me was sent to a rescue and she was willing to hand the dog over to the rescue for no money. She did express a desire to see where the dog was going, though, so then we were matched up. She has sent me many e-mails with details about the dog, what he likes..how he is when she's not home...etc. She has to be out of her apartment by July 31st. I know, though...I really hope this is on the "up and up" and I kind of wish I'd heard from Lucky Star first. Although I would be very concerned about the health of those dogs and the fact that they may have been confined to cages and thus very hard to train. I did go on the site and could not believe my eyes when they said 25 or 26 dogs.....no wonder I got called!
I do have a picture of this little guy, but I have webtv and can't post it-if anyone wants to see it or post it for me, just e-mail me off-list.

Back