• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to go from paper to outside?

Lindee

Ok....Willow just finally peed outside-I know he had not gone since at least 12:30 this afternoon. I think he practically never went outside and used paper in the house. I didn't even want to start that so I kept taking him out, playing with him and then putting him in the crate. He did pretty well in the crate considering I don't think his former owner used one-he whined a little. Finally at about 8 this evening he peed outside and I rewarded him with a bit of cheese...do you think this is the right approach?
(omg..he is sleeping on the couch next to me right now and he is so stinking cute!)

Lindee - your post is sooo cute. Is he really dang stinkin' cute??!! :lol:

You've got the right idea! When they go potty outside...major praise and treats. Both of mine will go on command (even if they don't need to go, Jake will lift his leg) because they know they get a treat when we get back in the house.

Ok...we're getting the hang of it. He was running around in circles and whining a bit-I took him out and he peed within a minute. I think this little guy is a quick study!
It's so funny because it just figures the day I get a dog it rains. I have a towel on the couch and he comes in smelling all doggy..talk about luck. Well, we're going to head off to bed-we'll see how that goes:)

Lindee said:
It's so funny because it just figures the day I get a dog it rains. I have a towel on the couch and he comes in smelling all doggy..talk about luck.

Murphy's law!! I used to love the rain...with two dogs, forget it!!

The problem with giving Snuggles treats when he potties, is that he would have me outside all day lifting his leg and getting treats.......lol. :lol: They are soooo smart! The smartest, cutest most loving breed of dogs I have seen. OMG I think Snuggles is mad because I refered to him as a dog......lol. :lol: I guess I'm behind a few, Lindee.....have you a new baby? Love the name Willow!

This little guy must be pretty smart because he is catching on quick! He slept with me all night...only had trouble settling when I got up to pee at 3 a.m. Then I took him right outside at 7 and he did both "businesses" immediately. I couldn't believe it! It took him so long to go yesterday I was like "oh boy, this is going to be a problem" because I had a Lhasa once that had been walked all her life and she absolutely refused to go in the backyard. She never really got good at it. I think we're on our way to giving Willow a normal "doggie" life.

Sounds like absolute puppy love to me!! And you got cute and smart all in one little beautifully wrapped package.

Cathy T said:
Both of mine will go on command (even if they don't need to go, Jake will lift his leg) because they know they get a treat when we get back in the house.

Haha that sounds familiar! Of course Maxx just goes when I say so without the promise of a treat icon_whistling icon_whistling :lol:

.................. :oops: I have had to start feeding him bits of carrot as he was getting fat where he expected a treat everytime he did a wee :oops:

It's really common for them to hold a poop when something has changed -- like when they are in a new environment, or have travelled (similar to a lot of people, really!). With dogs, a day or two is fine to wait. Leo tends to be constipated for a day when he comes back to me from boarding. Jaspar is alwasy fine. If you want to move things along, give a teaspoon of cod liver oil or a tin of sardines. If it got to three days I'd call the vet just to make sure there are no other problems. Almost every foster I have had won;t go the first day they are here.

Audrey caught on to poopping outside really quickly, peeing took longer. I never really gave treats, just a major fun party!!!! I would only give treats after a successful trip outside after an indooor accident. By two weeks after coming home we had no poop accidents and peeing accidents were infrequent in another month. Accidents were virtually gone since her spay at 6 months- 4 months after she came home! I crate trained when not home and at night. I took her out hourly otherwise. At first we had the 2am, 5am trips outside. Reduced down to just a 3:30am trip. That went on for ages as she learned to scratch to go out. I have to admit that one night we sucumbed to taking her into our bed and she slept the night. She has been there ever since and long gone are the mid-night trips outside thank goodness!!!!!! She did however one night jump off the bed and scratch at the door. She had a very bad case of the doggy-trots!!! Did she trot lickitty-split outside!!! It was reassuring to know she knew where to go!!!

I can't believe how quickly he's caught on. He slept with me all night...I had taken him out at 10 and when we went out this morning he went right away.

Back