Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to go from paper to outside?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to go from paper to outside?

Ok....Willow just finally peed outside-I know he had not gone since at least 12:30 this afternoon. I think he practically never went outside and used paper in the house. I didn't even want to start that so I kept taking him out, playing with him and then putting him in the crate. He did pretty well in the crate considering I don't think his former owner used one-he whined a little. Finally at about 8 this evening he peed outside and I rewarded him with a bit of cheese...do you think this is the right approach?
    (omg..he is sleeping on the couch next to me right now and he is so stinking cute!)

Post Thanks / Like

Lindee - your post is sooo cute. Is he really dang stinkin' cute??!!

You've got the right idea! When they go potty outside...major praise and treats. Both of mine will go on command (even if they don't need to go, Jake will lift his leg) because they know they get a treat when we get back in the house.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...we're getting the hang of it. He was running around in circles and whining a bit-I took him out and he peed within a minute. I think this little guy is a quick study!
    It's so funny because it just figures the day I get a dog it rains. I have a towel on the couch and he comes in smelling all doggy..talk about luck. Well, we're going to head off to bed-we'll see how that goes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindee
    It's so funny because it just figures the day I get a dog it rains. I have a towel on the couch and he comes in smelling all doggy..talk about luck.
    Murphy's law!! I used to love the rain...with two dogs, forget it!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with giving Snuggles treats when he potties, is that he would have me outside all day lifting his leg and getting treats.......lol. They are soooo smart! The smartest, cutest most loving breed of dogs I have seen. OMG I think Snuggles is mad because I refered to him as a dog......lol. I guess I'm behind a few, Lindee.....have you a new baby? Love the name Willow!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm slow, but I have it figured out now. Congrats on your new love.

Post Thanks / Like

This little guy must be pretty smart because he is catching on quick! He slept with me all night...only had trouble settling when I got up to pee at 3 a.m. Then I took him right outside at 7 and he did both "businesses" immediately. I couldn't believe it! It took him so long to go yesterday I was like "oh boy, this is going to be a problem" because I had a Lhasa once that had been walked all her life and she absolutely refused to go in the backyard. She never really got good at it. I think we're on our way to giving Willow a normal "doggie" life.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like absolute puppy love to me!! And you got cute and smart all in one little beautifully wrapped package.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, this weather is horrendous, though...pea soup-ick!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T
    Both of mine will go on command (even if they don't need to go, Jake will lift his leg) because they know they get a treat when we get back in the house.
    Haha that sounds familiar! Of course Maxx just goes when I say so without the promise of a treat

.................. I have had to start feeding him bits of carrot as he was getting fat where he expected a treat everytime he did a wee