Thanks everyone for the info. I really appreciate it. I am glad we're so much further along in knowledge and research than we were a year ago, but I still feel like we're still in the experimental phase of treatment. My mother and co-workers (vets) ask what the treatment options are and the success rates and I just don't know.
karlin - any idea on the success rates of the surgery/surgeries? The main reason I want to do the MRI now is because I heard (I think on the chiari list) that the success is inversely related to how long the symptoms have persisted... And that the surgery can't correct the damage that has already occured, but just prevent further deterioration?
So maybe waiting to do surgery until it's severe is not the best idea?
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.