• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

MRI for Abbey

Lorraine wrote:
Do you think that this may have been the cause of "R's" posture? He did not seem to be in pain yet he stance just seemed "wrong".

I would think so. I know part of Abbey's exam was just to have her walk around the room so he could watch her gate, etc.

Problems up in the cervical (neck) region can definitely cause problems lower down. All the nerves run through the spinal cord up there and on to other locations. There are nerve connections from the spinal cord down into the limbs and other extremities, but all the upper motor neurons run from the brain on down the spinal cord and pass through the cervical region where the syrinxes most often are. So obviously problems up here - pressure, kinks, etc. -- can cause problems in the lower part of the body as well as the front half.

That is weird that Maxx's syrinxes are down at the base of his spine -- down by his tail?? I've never heard of that.

The study I"m taking Rory to is just looking at the skull area. She kept saying they are looking for the chiari?? I assume she meant chiari malformation... If he has it i'm sure i'll have to redo the MRI which is annoying...

Question:

rory seems to scratch a LOT in the mornings. I always wake up to him scratching his head or neck -- sometimes belly. Does the scratching tend to be worse in the mornings?

MRI

Yes, I've read that sometimes the scratching can be specific to times of day, weather, etc. My vet asked those kinds of questions, but Abbey's is the typical excitement situation--when we come home from work, when she gets in from going potty (treat time), etc.

I think often it can be worse in mornings because they have been sedentary then when they start moving it creates some pressure and they get the immediate sensation and then scratch. That said allergies can do this and also PSOM would likely be more noticeable when they first wake and 'notice' it again.

Lorraine I didn't notice Ricky had too odd a stance; he was just very long-backed. I kept an eye on him for the several days he was here and he seemed fine; nothing noticeable.

Rory the syrinxes often go all the way down the spine kind of like a string of pearls. If they are extensive then often the neuros feel the dog is not a candidate for surgery. I think if they are doing the skull MRI it will take in the neck area too which should reveal any syrinxes to you. It is rare for them to be only at the end of the spine and not to start from the top where the pressure first builds. Thats says someone on the Chiari list has definite SM symptoms with ONLY the malformation and no syrinxes at all. It seems symtpoms are often not related to the severity of the syrinxes at all. Some really severely affected dogs have had few outward symptoms and vice versa. It is such a msytery as a condition...

OK then, Maxx had an x-ray or should I say twelve x-rays - none of which showed up anything much at all.

When he had the MRI there was one clear syrinx right down the base of his spine - yes, almost at his tail. I don't know how rare this is but Mr Skerritt didn't seem to think it was odd.

Maxx does have a slight malformation (the Chiari bit!!!!) and also has a herniation - now I can't remember if this is cerebellar or not.

Maxx gets scratchy first thing in the morning, around about dinner time (7pm ish) and also when he gets excited.

If I can be of any help at all just shout - I hope Abbey's MRI is OK. Abbey is Maxx's Mummy dog's name too :)

Back