• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

article on Clare for human SM association

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I came across this on the web today -- an interesting article on Clare Rusbridge's research on SM for a website for human sufferers of SM:

http://www.asap.org/2005/canine-syringomyelia.html

Likewise people might find this link useful, as it explains what SM is in humans and what humans feel when they have it. Interestingly symptoms most frequently show in humans between 25-40 -- so it isn;t generally something people realise they have early on.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/923779378.html

SM cavaliers forum

Hi Karlin... I was going to post the www.asap.com website but it looks like you beat me to it....While I don't own any cavaliers (1 chocolate lab) I have syringomyelia and I thought the site may give owners some idea of what their pet may be experiencing.

Although I have to say it's even difficult for we humans to explain this disease and its symptoms...Thanks for your time!

Sparky

Hi Sparky -- thanks for the post, and you are always welcome here with your perspective. I have read a couple of things by people with SM and I think it gives such insight into what this condition is all about and perhaps is the only way we can begin to understand what our dogs are also feeling and why they act in particular ways when they have this. It must be a terribly difficult condition for people to live with.

There are some new intitiatives between ASAP and the CKCS people to do some fundraisers for research and raise awareness, which I think is really exciting. I know the vet researchers are learning much from the doctors who treat this condition and do the decompression surgery for human patients, and it looks like the high incidence of this condition in cavaliers and cavalier research will in turn help expand knowledge and treatment expertise about the condition generally, to benefit humans.

There are plans underway for a CKCS/ASAP fundraiser in the New York area -- your post has reminded me that I want to post some info on that for people who might like to get involved. :)

CKCS & ASAP working together

Hi Karlin, thank you for the warm welcome! I have to say a joint fund-raiser sounds like a wonderful idea. I believe the key to finding a cure for syringomyelia is to work together. I will keep an eye on your sight for future postings. Thank you again!

Sparky (7/8ths Irish...almost there :) )

This is very interesting, thanks for posting Sparky. I believe the correct link is .org though, rather than .com which takes you to a software sight.

This is a great link for people trying to understand what our dogs are feeling. Thanks again!

I've just read the info on SM on that site Sparky and I have to say that it is the clearest most concise information I have yet seen.

Thank you so much :D I am so sorry that you too have SM. It really IS horrible & I hope that you have medication to keep your pain under control icon_flowers

Thanks for the ".org" Jen, must have had a brain cramp...thank you Maxx's Mummy for your kind thoughts.

Great group of people on this board!!!

Sparky :lol:

Maxx's mom wrote:

[/quote]Thanks for that Jen - I wondered what I was doing wrong How is Abbey?
She's much better now that she's on Furosemide. It makes us think that this is SM for sure, otherwise I don't think we'd see such results. She's got a lot more energy as well, much like what you described in Maxx once he started Furosemide.

Thanks for asking :)

How's Charlie?? Pictures?? Is Maxx threatening to move out?!

Hi Sparky -- 7/8ths Irish IS there! :lol: You are always welcome here. I am really excited about the ASAP connections; I hope those continue to grow and expand.

How's Charlie?? Pictures?? Is Maxx threatening to move out?!

Charlie is absolutely gorgeous thanks :D even if he is a little monkey :lol:

Maxx is staying put and even lets Charlie take his favourite 'baby'.
Charlie in return washes Maxx and cleans his eyes and tummy for him (why he likes to lick Maxx's tummy I will never know :roll: :lol: ) Maxx did let Charlie sleep in his bed when he first arrived but now if he sees him in there he wanders over, glares at him and huffs and Charlie immediately jumps over into his own bed :lol:

They still play 'musical beds' in our bedroom and the lounge though - between 2 dogs we've got 8 beds yet they still prefer the sofa or our bed icon_yikes :lol:

Back