• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Training a puppy to wear a collar and lead

Evan

could someone tell me at what age should i start teaching my puppy to use a collar and lead because atm, his collar is a little too big for him and when i attach the lead he goes mad and starts biting it!! :|

I've always put a collar and lead on my dogs as soon as possible. We used to put one on Maxx and walk him round the house, giving him little treats as we went :roll: .

Try him with the collar sans lead and see how he gets on - he bites it because it is alien to him LOL

We bought a 'soft collar' for Maxx - one without holes, made from nylon webbing and you just push the buckle through wherever it is comfortable for the dog.

He's a little sweetie by the way, Evan :D

thanks, i got a cat collar for him (because they have small necks) and he has no problem wearing it! But i was in the garde with him and i attached the lead and stood up, took one tiny step and he pulled the other way and then gave a big YELP!!

:cry:

then again yesterday i put it on and he didn't yelp he just did his own thing (which isn't bad) but then he spotted the lead and started chewing!

:lol: :lol:

I had trouble with Max at first too. He didn't want to walk with the lead on. He just froze and or put his brakes on (that's what we call it). We ended up to get a very small ajustable harness. It is one that the pup can step into) :lol:. Well let me put it this way (It goes on like a bra). And has one snap/clip at the top ofthe harness on the back. You attach the lead where the snap is..... but it has two ring that attach to the lead. Sound confusing but it is ver very simple. Then I would let Max walk where he wanted as I would follow with the lead. Next I would have tiny treats or even a squecky toy and get him to walk to me/ with me.

Good Luck ;)

Here is a link that shows the harnesshttp://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produ...ct_id=589-0100&category_name=CollarsHarnesses

I read a suggestion years ago to let the puppy drag the lead around behind him for awhile so he realized the lead itself won't hurt him. They still probably won't like it when you finally pick up the other end and try to 'control' them...but they won't be afraid of the lead istelf, and they'll be familair with the weight/feeling of it.

KC

I've read that before, too.

I think anyone would want to only do that under very careful supervision -- very easy for the lead to tangle on something causing potential serious injury or even death to a puppy -- or alternatively, startling him so much that he becomes terrified of leads.

I suppose my other thought would be, that draggin a lead along is potentially frighetining and bears no relation ot how leads are actually used so why not instead work to creat a positive, fun association between the lead and... walks, treats etc. I started 'walking' Jaspar inside as a puppy before his vax were complete and he was allowed out. He got little treats for walking politely and the arrival of treats when the lead is on is itself a very positive enforcement and association. :)

Back