• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fetching and retrieving

Evan

is there any good age to start teaching fetching and retrieving?

and on that note, what's a good way that i might go about doing that? ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gosh Louie sure is cute! I started from when Jaspar was a puppy, throwing a small toy; if he went and picked it up he got lots of praise. Then I'd start calling him to me when he had the item and when he came even a bit near I'd give lots of praise. Soon he connected the idea that if he brought the item I'd toss it again. I introduced the command 'fetch' then too when I threw the toy. We played this indoors all the time from when he was probably 9 weeks old. Jaspar then taught Leo. Japsar picks up a lot of things from associatioon and context -- he knows 'bring it' and quickly learned 'find it' as well -- when outdoors I sometimes throw his ball where he doesn;t see then give the 'find it' command. He scents all around the field in big circles with Leo chasing him -- he always finds his ball eventually.

Warning: fecth can become a total obsession for Louie though; it is for both mine but especially Jaspar, who will bring bits of paper, earplugs, absolutely anything he finds and put it on my knee to throw for him. Sometimes it drives me nuts! :shock: Great way to exercise your puppy though in that time before you can take him out.

karlin said:
Warning: fecth can become a total obsession for Louie though; it is for both mine but especially Jaspar, who will bring bits of paper, earplugs, absolutely anything he finds and put it on my knee to throw for him. Sometimes it drives me nuts! :shock: Great way to exercise your puppy though in that time before you can take him out.

We start playing ball practically before I've poured my first cup of coffee :oops: Luckily they are done after about 1/2 hour and ready for their morning naps. Once Jake starts there's no stopping him. He's is ball obsessed!!

Yup, Maxx too :lol: In fact, we have balls hidden all over the house from where we've pretended it's 'lost'! There is only so much ball throwing that one person can take :lol:

We never taught Maxx to 'fetch'. We were playing with him one day and he suddenly brought a toy and dropped it by me then picked it up and sort of threw it with his mouth and ran after it then brought it back again. He kept on doing it until I picked it up and threw it for him. The look on his face was priceless - almost sort of 'Hurrah, she's finally got it!!!!'

I swear this dog has been re-incarnated LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for all this guys but i may have a slight problem.

Louie will chase the ball but then he plays with it (using his paw and mouth) :lol: and the problem is, he doesn't really know his name atm. He will come if i call him outside but not indoors :? not sure why!!

i also have to get him used to his collar but i have to get a cat collar for him thought because he has such a smal neck!! :lol:

Maybe in your PMs on the site (in your messages?) or your email link you gave in your membership registration?

Hi, all. I'm new, but the post about fetching caught my attention.

I have a 3 month old puppy, and we used to play fetch. However, lately, rather than bring the object back to be rethrown, she heads toward me and then veers off to the side, just out of reach. I never play tug of war, and if we play chase, she's always the chaser (I never chase her). She doesnt want to stop playing when she does this, but she certainly doesnt want to bring the object back! If I call her to me, she drops the object (generally) and comes trotting on over.

Is it possible she just doesnt like to play fetch anymore?

Hi and welcome - no I would guess she's just trying different tactics!!

Do you ever make a grab for her if she won't come to you - that may encourage this sort of behaviour?

The best way to get their attention is to run away from them, preferably forwards in the direction they are travelling to start with, then in other directions to make it interesting.

Also try throwing the object between yourself and a friend, to get her interest - and try different objects to see what she likes. Teddy doesn't like canvas toys, but loves fleece and other soft toys.

Hope this helps

Hi, Nicki. thanks for the advice.

Yes, when Cedar comes close, I hold out my hands. If she veers off, I tend to lunch. It's a pain for me (literally!) but she's probably laughing hysterically on the inside!

She loves to play chase, so we'll give the running trick a try. So far, I've been ignoring her when she does it (after the initial lunge), and she eventually comes over. Though sometimes she leaves her ring elsewhere.

Speaking of which--her ring is her favorite toy. You'd think it would be too much for her, but she loves it! She likes to spin around in circles with it in her mouth. She gets so dizzy she has to stop, but when she's back to normal, away she goes again!

Back