• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Housetraining Pads

Evan

A person i was talking to recommended "housetraining pads" and i went to my local garden centre and i found them. I just wanted to mention them here because they work wonders!

You all know i'm having a hard time housetraining little Louie :) and these pads come with a special scent to attract the dogs. They are plastic squares with tissue-like stuff in the middle so the pee doesn't seep through to the ground. My mother is so relieved!!

You do the same as you do with newspaper - gradually move towards the door. But i went out for a while after putting it down and when i came home i was shocked!! :eek: Louie went on the pad !!

HOORAH!!

but the ultimate test is tonight, if he goes on it!! Since he's alone, he might be distracted!!

I'm sure he'll be fine Evan :D . Is he sleeping any better yet?
He's a real cutey :D - More pics when you have them icon_banana

i'm so happpy!! :D I was worried that being alone at night might stop him from using the pads but......... when i came down this morning he had done both on the pad!!! HOORAH!! icon_banana

He's sleeping better because we are letting him cry at night which is the best thing for him. Because of this he's also more obedient in the day time AND he wants to play more which is great! :lol:

Any updates on how Louie progressed since last August?

I'm looking for some advice with Zack. he's a bit over 4 months old. When I put him in the backyard, he will "use the facilities" if he needs to. Inside the home, I have wee wee pads on the carpet in front of the door to the backyard and in front of the front door. In the three weeks i've had him, he consistently uses the wee wee pads. There have been maybe two or three isolated cases of going right on the carpet, no where near the pad, but clearly he chooses to go on those pads. The question is, how can he learn to only go outside? How can he give up the pads and just let me know when he needs to go outside? He does scratch on the back door and i let him out, and sometimes it's for going potty and sometimes it's for some other reason he has, curiosity or something. But because i'm not chastizing him for using the pads, he must be getting the message that this is normal and ok.

I have heard that you're supposed to remove the pads at some point, but I feel sure he will go on the carpet if i do. I woulnd't miind this so much except he's had diarrhea ever since i brought him home, which is another issue for another thread. (That has been treated with Flagyl, improved, then came back and he's now on Flagyl again. The difference between regular dog doo and dog diarrhea on the carpet is like the differnce between night and day). If i don't remove the wee wee pads, will he eventually give them up on his own? or will he assume they are acceptable behavior? I AM happy that he uses them, if he has to go outside, but of course, want him to stop going inside.

do male dogs pee more often than female dogs? It seems like Zack pees a lot of times. Hope it's not a urinary infection.

Back