• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

:( Naughty Maxxy :(

Maxxs_Mummy

This morning at 6.15am I was awoken by my hubby to tell me that our rather large (raised) pond had decided to empty itself overnight :cry:

He'd been up since 5am to go to work and had caught most of the fish instead of having his breakfast so my youngest son and myself got up to try and catch the rest.

Hubby managed to get back home at 8.30 and we then discovered that the pipe that feeds the water back into the pond after it's been filtered had come adrift and just flooded parts of the garden icon_yikes

We had buckets of fish everywhere and one of the rather large goldfish must have jumped out un noticed by us.

Guess who found it???? Yup, his lordship, Sir Maxximillion. Little demon was playing with it and swiping it with his paw and chewing it :cry:

Needless to say the fishy is now at Rainbow Bridge and Maxx spent most of the day being sick - I guess goldfish sushi isn't that good for Cavaliers icon_whistling

I agree Karlin, why are they so gross at times? What gets me is the look they give you when you dare to tell them 'no'!

Maxx had a right strop on with my hubby for most of yesterday because he rescued the poor fish :roll:

He kept running back and forth between me and hubby too, giving him the disgusted look and me the butter wouldn't melt look LOL :lol:

Yes I know that look; I get it when I take some disgusting bit of bone out of their mouths that they've found on the streeet, or when I intervene before they can roll in fresh horse poop (oh, I can see Jaspar begin to lower his shoulder and go into that sideways roll favoured for smearing as much poop all over his body as possible... icon_yikes ).

Are the fish OK? Sometimes they don't do well with fresh water. Or was there still a bit left at the bottom of the pond?

The rest of the fish are fine Pansy. There was about six inches of water left in the pond. We always put treatment in there as well. Some of the fish are about 7 or 8 years old now and absolutely HUGE!!!!

Would love to see a photo of Maxxy with the pond sometime. It must be quite large and deep for the fish to survive over the winter. Am always interested in pond designs. Raised ones are particularly interesting since we only have a couple of inches of soil over rock.

Have 17 terrapins currently living in a very large kiddie pool on my porch... pending construction of a new pond. No goldfish or koi currently (the turtles eat them), though do raise guppies which the turts ignore. The only time the doglets are interested is at feeding time. The turts get cat food. Sorted that out by feeding all at the same time, but the furkids eat in my bedroom.

Take care,
MaryBelle, Pansy's (human) mum

Ah well, to take a pic of Maxxy with the pond I will have to get someone to pick him up! Ours is about 3'6" tall and he can't reach :lol:
That's the reason we built it up - he can't fall in then!

Thanks Donna .. that would mean bringing a lot of blocks or cement over to the Island. Will try digging <G> or doing a combo Many thanks... still may do the building route..

Hi Mary Belle,

I've posted two pics of our pond below. Please ignore the fact that it needs repainting and also the bushes and mess surrounding it! We have been in this house for 2 years and spent the whole time gutting the inside of it :roll: .

The scruffy fence belongs to our next door neighbours (we are going to paint our side ;)) and the window is the garage - hence hubby's mess in it!

We are just about to start on the garden, though hubby put his pond in within weeks of moving here - a case of needs must - the fish were living in huge barrels and needed their new home LOL

pond1.jpg

pond2.jpg

The pond is built from railway sleepers (we bought new as it was easier to size them). Hubby started off by having to put metal bands around them to support them but he has now drilled huge bolts right into the wood so they will be taken off when we re-paint. We bought a huge pond liner and stapled it right round so it doesn't move and then put the wooden ledge on it! So no need for bricks at all - just a bit of ingenuity LOL

It is very different to the pond that I'd said I wanted, brick built from old bricks and 2 ft high :roll: I swear my hubby doesn't understand English LOL

That's lovely! The turtles would like to move in :badgrin: icon_drivingcar

I think sleepers might be more expensive than cinderblocks in Bermuda. But will investigate.

Thanks again.

well the fish seem happy enough in it. the marks all over the top are from cleaning the pond. It's rained today so they'll have been washed away now :D

As I said, the garden is a real mess at the minute. It's better than it was as you could hardly move for brambles when we moved in - we couldn't believe there was actually a garden under it all :shock:

The fence on the opposite side was moved out 10ft yesterday so now the real work begins :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back