Thread: coughing

Post Thanks / Like

Default coughing

Has anyone heard of coughing being attributed to SM? Our neuro asked if Abbey coughs, and I'm kicking myself for not asking for an explanation...usually I'm the one with a million questions. I was pretty overwhelmed that day, and have since emailed him a few questions. We'll see what his answer is for the coughing symptom.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

It could be he was asking this to rule out another problem. Just to get a complete history. I've never heard of coughing as a symptom of SM. Karlin?
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Jen, I've only just seen this thread.

Well...... Maxxy has been 'coughing' for about 2 years. He even went into the Vets for 48 hours whilst they put camera's down his throat etc as they thought there might have been something stuck in there. The Vets had already tested his heart etc so we knew that wasn't the cause (they cough with MVD).

He'd be fine until he started to play and then would cough as if he was clearing his throat and go off in a huff

Then about 6 weeks ago he started taking the Frusemide for the SM & miraculously, the cough has almost disappeared!!!!

Must be a link somewhere but I'd love to know what. if you speak to the neurologist again then ASK HIM LOL

Post Thanks / Like

That's when we notice it with Abbey, too, when she's excited or just been running around. The vet said he'd call this week, if I haven't heard from him today I'm going to call him.
    You know how it is when you're at the vet, there are a million questions, etc. and at times stuff just goes right over your head.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd be really interested to find out what he says. No one on the Chiari list has ever mentioned a cough that I know of. I might put a query there just to see.

BTW I have had a couple of emails to note that one of the US neuros is prescribing frusemide/furosemide now. Interesting; it is beginning to be seen as a valid treatment.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin, it's working so well on Maxx that most of the time you'd not believe that there is anything wrong with him.

He's even back to being naughty - is that a good thing???? LOL