• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

leg problems

sarahg

hi

does anyone know if cavaliers suffer much with leg problems?
Ive noticed that lady who is nine is having problems with her back legs they sometimes give away i will take her to the vets but i was wondering if its a common problem? i hope its ok lady hs had enough problems in the last year she had pyametra (hope thats spelt right) she had a hysterectemy and then got blood poisoning it was touch and go for a week :( she has recovered now i just dont want her to have any more problems.

sarah xxx

I think arthritis in a 9 year old cav is not too uncommon. Does she seem stiff when she gets up?

Hi Sarah,

When you say her legs 'give way' is it from the hips or the knees? I think I would err on the side of caution and pop her along to the Vet. Let them see if there is anything wrong with her.

I am concerned because we lost our darling GSD at the age of five - this was due to a hip problem (she came from parents with really low hip scores). She'd also had pyometria and apparently it had caused her back to 'bow' - if I'd known about it they could have operated and saved her. Everyone kept saying I was paranoid and worrying unnecesarily so I didn't bother the Vet. Now I wish I had ...

My Vet is Maxx's best friend (after me LOL) and I think that your vet should be lady's :D They are the experts and it sounds like she needs examining.

Another thing Cavalier's can suffer from is luxating patella's when the kneecap slips and they legs give way.

PLEASE, I'm not trying to worry you but get her to the Vet's :D icon_flowers

Hi Sarah,

Maxx's Mummy is right. Cavaliers are quite prone to luxating patellas. My mother had a cavalier who would would *occassionally* collapse in the back end (particularly when jumping off of a chair or sofa), hop around a little (sometimes she would yelp, sometimes she wouldn't), and then the symptoms would disappear quite quickly with no residual pain.

She was taken to a local veterinarian, and through palpation and radiographs, was diagnosed with a luxating patella in one rear leg. She underwent a relatively quick and easy surgical repair to strengthen the patella (deepening the groove where the tendon sits), and never had any problems whatsoever afterwards. And, she was an incredibly active little girl!

This may very well not be a patellar issue at all... as Rory's mom said, arthritis is much more common at that age, and can be greatly relieved with medication. I just wanted to share my personal experience (and wonderful turnout) with the luxating patella.

Lots swear by glucosamine and fish oils for joints in older dogs -- you can get these in dog doses at good pet shops.

hi everyone

thanks for your replys i am of to the vets today :( fingers crossed everything will be ok i am hopeful that is is just old age.

sarah xx

hi
took lady to the vets yesterday she is ok richard said she has a touch of arithtus he has advised a couple of spoons of cod liver oil in her food for now. Thank god icon_banana. Thanks for all your replys.

sarah xxx

{{{{{{{{Sarah & Lady}}}}}}}}, I am so relieved for you both icon_flowers . Glucosamine is also good for arthritis. They do special pet versions but the 'human' preparations are the same - just half the price :D

That's good news; glucosamine is supposed to work well too. You see it in ppet shops as a supplement for 'mature dogs'... :)

Back