Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please, harnesses not collars for walks/training!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default please, harnesses not collars for walks/training!

From an email posted to the main cavalier breeder's list. This well known show breeder asked the neurologist running the North Carolina study, Dr Olby, if dogs could be walked on collars (note: NORMAL collars, not choke, prong, or slip leads, which are far worse at putting pressure on the neck area). Her response:

We asked Dr. Olby about whether we should use harnesses exclusively for our
    cavaliers. She said yes, in her opinion, that would be a wise thing to do.
    That "just in case," the use of a harness might not "add insult to injury."
    In other words, she thinks all cavaliers should be walked on harnesses all the time. This advice was not given for dogs *diagnosed* with SM -- she is advising this for ALL cavaliers because of the very high incidence of SM in the breed, and the chance that using even a regular collar for walks (setting aside jerks/leash corrections, which should obviously not be used at all for the same reasons) may exacerbate any existing SM condition.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used a harness for Molly, and Penny had one too. I think they are more responsive on a harness, and they do not seem to tug as much, while they are learning the art of loose leash walking. Of course, I have had a slippery puppy slide right out of one, and had to learn how to get it just right, not too loose, not too tight. I have learned that I cannot leave them in the harness all the time, as little knots and snarls tend to develope under Mollys' front legs, once she got her full coat at about 18 months.
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

I bought harry a harness for the car, a seatbelt thing, and we now use that for walks also as it looks much more comfortable, is it safe to use this???

Also remember in the UK it is a legal requirement for all dogs to wear a collar with some form of identity

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good reminder about collars -- we have the same law in Ireland. Some of those seatbelt harnesses are designed for walking as well, though I'd check that they aren't chafing. If not designed for walking as well, my only concern would be that it might be kind of bulky, but if it fits well then I'm sure you are fine! I think they look far more comfortable (harnesses that is) than having someone pulling you around by the neck. Plus I think they are kind of cute!
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I looooove Rory's new Puppia harness! (Thanks, Andrea!) It fits great (Rory is 17lbs, and I got him a medium,which is adjustable and should fit most average sized Cavs, I think), and it's soft and easy to take on and off. I've always hated harnesses because they're so hard to get on and off and orient yourself around. This one is made so you can easily tell which side is up and which is down, so you're not left fumbling around putting it on wrong.

US source:
    http://www.bowsawowsa.com/product_in...roducts_id=112

Rory loves it too. Totally unbothered by it!
    Here he is showing off his new duds:

obviously unhampered!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

I've ordered a pink one for Shelby and a royal blue for Jake. Can't wait to try them out. I feel awful when they tug on their collars on walks and this will definitely help.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Can't wait to see pics of the kids in their new harnesses. Did you get the dark blue or light blue for manly Jake?
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

The royal blue for my royal man!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harnesses

Thank you for the help information re: harnessess. I've ordered the Puppia on line.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Steve! You know that once it arrives, we will expect a picture in the Photo Gallery...
    Karlin